1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SVP on SC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Sep 15, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

For the first time in a long time, I'm watching Sports Center regularly again, almost entirely because I am a big fan of Scott Van Pelt.

I think his new version of SC is entertaining, fun and informative. And they talk about gambling!

Was curious what others thought.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't understand the value of gambling talk - particularly after the fact. It's like having someone talk about their fantasy league team.

Stoney likes this.
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

He talks about it before the fact, too. Makes picks on Thursdays, I believe.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Whoop de doo. You really think Scott Van Pelt's Thursday picks are providing any insight that the folks who set the spreads are missing?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to check it out, but I always forget to DVR it.

Thankfully, Stoney has come to the rescue and rendered the entire thing worthless. So there's that. Thanks, man!

Mr. Sunshine and YankeeFan like this.
  6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Huge Van Pelt fan. Love the new show.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not interested in his picks anymore than the guy two cubicles over from me who's in a free-picks contest with his friends. Now if he has betting slips, that's different. Then you're into it.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You think SVP doesn't bet the picks he gives? You wanna see his Bovada screenshots every week?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Do the folks who set the spreads objectively provide a spread that essentially handicaps the games? Or are the lines set with the intention of providing a misleading spread to induce most people to bet a particular way in most games?

Maybe there should be a gambling show where experts with no skin in the game set lines or at least critique the established lines

Songbird likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted