1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Moses Malone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And early 80s Sixers.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Aw, man. This sucks. I was 7 when that team won the title - Doc was my hero but Moses carried that team. He turned a perennial playoff loser into perhaps the most dominant single season playoff team of all time. "Fo, fo, fo" is one of the greatest sports quotes ever, too. Elegant in its simplicity.

RIP, Moses.

Oh, and fuck Harold Katz one last time for that debacle of a trade.

Bronco77 likes this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Maurice Cheeks is slipping with his lights on.

But seriously, RIP to an all time great.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

First Dawkins. Now Malone. Bill Willoughby should be looking over his shoulder.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My 10th grade English teacher taught him in 10th grade as well, and she always insisted that he was a smart kid.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Great player, RIP

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I got to cover him, and there was a lot more to Moses than people think or realize. He could appear gruff if you didn't know him or he you, but I really appreciated the chance to get to know him more than the average fan could. He was actually a funny and insightful guy. But I think he liked the image as a man of few words. RIP, Moses.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He (and a handful of others) beat the college cabal 20 years before anyone else even tried it. Sounds pretty smart to me.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Damn. Used to see him quite frequently where I worked, and he was always friendly and funny.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Great anecdote from John Lucas:

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Sad to hear. I grew up a big Lakers fan in the 80s, but I always liked and respected Moses.

Nice anecdote by John Lucas. I remember reading in Terry Pluto's ABA book about Malone's recruitment and decision to go pro. While he was still in high school, it was generally accepted that Lefty Driesell had him wrapped up for Maryland if he played college ball. One guy in the book quoted a college coach talking about making a trip to Malone's hometown to talk to him although he knew he had no chance, but he had to go just to show the boosters and fanbase he was at least making an effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted