1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9-11-14: Better or worse than 9-12-01?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Paynendearse, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Better: Bin Laden's dead. Did a questionable deal with Iran.

Worse: We might have made a mess (Bush that is) of Iraq by destabilizing it, but then we trumped that by an early and complete withdrawal (Obama). We've destabilized Libya, backed it in Syria, made a questionable deal with Iran and tried to do it in Egypt, but the Muslim Brotherhood was quickly pushed aside in part by an Army who knows from experience the only way to govern in the Middle East is with a strong hand.

Thoughts?

Sorry, my phone is hell to type on. Bump it to 2015. Can the mods do that?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Patriots had won zero Super Bowls as of 9-12-01. Therefore we are much worse off.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

And Justin Bieber, the Kardashians, Kanye, the Real Housewives and "bae" weren't things yet. Worse.

4. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Well, Miami was still a college football power, the Cowboys sucked and A-Rod wasn't a Yankee, and BALCO was just a good ol' American example of free enterprise.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

s
    I'm not even sure what the trumped clause in the sentence means. But I do know there are no silver linings or flip sides to rationally debate on the issue of the Iraq invasion. An illegal war founded on lies that turned out to be the single dumbest and biggest blunderfuck in US foreign policy history, bankrupted our treasury, caused god only knows how many thousands of innocent deaths, and in the end only made the region worse off for everybody except for the ISIS fanatics who arose as a direct consequence of it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  6. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

But ISIS came about because of a complete vacuum of presence of American soldiers.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This thread came about because of a complete vacuum in your skull.

wicked likes this.
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This thread is going to be #HotTakeCentral, isn't it?

Hokie_pokie and YankeeFan like this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

in 2001 Balco was just that guy on Perfect Strangers.

MTM and Donny in his element like this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was still in my 30s in '01 so I'll vote for 01. Seriously, at that time Baghdad was the most stable, westernized, secular country in the Middle East, exactly what the US wants right now. Damn shame.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

So ... worse?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I like to think the Ice Bucket Challenge made the world a better place.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    sgreenwell and Riptide like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted