1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murdoch buys out National Geographic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Twirling Time, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Only $725 million? I would have thought it would be more.

I missed my chance 20 years or so ago to get National Geographic for life for $500. I used to read it cover to cover every month, only skipping the Egyptian or Inca art stories.

The best series I ever read was a three-part story an American wrote about cycling around the continent, the people he met, the things he saw. His marriage was falling apart, and his trip came of it. Great writing from a great reporter. And here's the link to the book that came out of it:

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Will be very interesting to see how Murdoch handles articles on climate change, etc.

Two great articles in NG this week: one on stolen ivory, another on an attempt to climb a remote mountain in Myanmar. I hope he leaves it alone.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Guess Nat Geo will no longer write about human ancestry because, as we know, man in his present form arrived along with the Earth 10,000 years ago.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Guess they could have turned down the money and gone out of business.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

In contrast, I'm shocked the number is that high, since seemingly a bunch of other prominent magazines have gone for meager sums or closed completely.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Future Nat Geo cover shot:
    [​IMG]

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

The deal includes all the NatGeo-branded cable channels and the other digital operations ...

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

FWIW, Murdoch already owned about half of that.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5,775 years ago to be precise.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That sounds similar to A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins, who, I believe, also wrote some things for National Geographic during the walk. It was the early 70s, he was also having marriage problems, and was disillusioned with the country after the turmoil of the 60s. So he walked, met a bunch of different people, lived with some of them, and wrote about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted