1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin Beutner is out as L.A. Times publisher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Sep 8, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Here are Beutner's parting thoughts, in their entirety, as he posted on Facebook.

It's a really good, surprisingly open and heartfelt farewell, and I'm saddened by this firing. It seems he was a good one for the paper.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Damn. Never heard of this guy until now, but it sounds like quite a mess. Wish Tim Ryan luck, I suppose. Sounds like he's going to need it.

5. WriteThinking

Austin Beutner, the former publisher of the Los Angeles Times who was recently ousted by Tribune Company, is now free to speak his mind about the future of newspapers and journalism. He remains hopeful and positive about it, with the right approach, which he believed he was implementing with his former employer.

Does local journalism have a future? (Opinion) - CNN.com

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Read his farewell note there and you'll see this person did indeed have a clue. Hmmm, engaging the advertisers and making progress?? Progress with advertisers? Hmmm. I thought that couldn't be done. Some of his other programs he implemented sounded workable and positive as well.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ryan came up inside Trib, right? They won't go with an independent thinker for that job now.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That book "The Deal from Hell" that James O'Shea, the former Times and Tribune editor, wrote had a telling line. The publisher James worked under at the Times said "the future is in cutting back."

And they wonder why newspapers are in the shape they are now. :(

Fredrick likes this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Tribune Company is in danger of becoming a rich man's toy. The stock price since the IPO has gone from 25 to eight. The company has a market cap about 215M. Long-term debt is 300M. If someone offered $15 a share they could buy the company. That would be a total cost of about 700M. Which would be affordable to Eli Broad, who is worth seven billion, especially if, as rumored, he partnered with someone like David Geffen, who is also worth seven billion.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

At this point, it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd say it's affordable, seeing as Tribune turned down a $2 billion all-cash offer for the L.A. Times ALONE from Geffen nine years ago.

WriteThinking likes this.
  12. WriteThinking

I think that's when we all knew things were really going to go downhill. There had been some excitement at the prospect of that possible deal, and when it didn't happen, there was a tangible mood shift to real discouragement.

Draft saved Draft deleted