1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Sanctity of Marriage' latest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 8, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The pope makes it much easier for people to get annulments:

Pope Francis makes annulment of marriages easier - CNN.com

The three main changes announced on Tuesday are are:

• Eliminating a second review by a cleric before a marriage can be nullified.
    • Giving bishops the ability to fast-track and grant the annulments themselves in certain circumstances -- for example, when spousal abuse or an extramarital affair has occurred.
    • The process should be free, except for a nominal fee for administrative costs, and should be completed within 45 days.

Interesting side note: Under the previous system, annulments cost up to 25 times what an uncontested divorce costs in my state.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Has always been easy if you were a Kennedy. Now the poor have the same access.

doctorquant likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Open marriages would solve a lot of this.

LongTimeListener and doctorquant like this.
  4. MisterCreosote

I'm guessing it will have little to no impact in the U.S.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this ... if an "extramarital" affair has occurred, that implies, to me at least, that a marriage was in effect. Therefore, it would seem to me that such couldn't be grounds for an annulment, since an annulment is a finding that a valid marriage wasn't in effect.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yay, more hocus-pocus!!!

spikechiquet likes this.
  7. My sister - in an attempt to appease my ultra-religious mother - started the process of having her second marriage annulled, before she tied the knot to husband No. 3. She listed both me and my wife as witnesses and the Diocese set us each a packet to fill out. It was about five pages of questions and they wanted an essay.
    It was a HUGE pain in the ass.
    I never got around to it. Neither did my wife. Sis went through with the wedding, which was about two years ago.
    I have no idea what the annulment costs would have been for my sister.

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"How I spent my summer vacation"

I spent my summer vacation witnessing my sister get cheated on by her husband. He was finally caught, with his mistress, in a cornfield, so help me Tebow. The End.

9. Was his disposable cell phone in the car's wheel well?

10. MisterCreosote

My ex at least inquired about an annulment. She changed her tune when she learned she couldn't get alimony or any of my shit. Plus, the entire thing was her fault.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So if you have a kid before you get the marriage annulled, does the kid exist? Or does that cost extra?

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It costs a couple thousand bucks even if it's totally open-and-shut, nothing in dispute, etc etc.

It also requires, as Orville notes, "testimony" from persons other than the principals on matters they could not possibly have known anything about.

My wife and I split 16 years ago and got a civil divorce. We looked into the process of a church annulment a couple years later, but it cost so much and the process was such a complete MFPITA, and neither of us were in any imminent situation of needing to be free to remarry in the church, so we said "the hell with it."

I really only go to church three or four times a year anyway so it's not a huge factor in my daily life, but I suppose if the process has indeed been seriously streamlined, I might look into it again.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted