1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Classic and your viewing habits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Sep 2, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I have been with DirecTV for more than 17 years now. In the first 10 or so, ESPN Classic was channel 208, right next to ESPN (206), ESPN News (207) and ESPN2 (209). Seems like about 6 years ago or so that they moved Classic to 614 and put ESPNU on 208. I never, ever watch ESPNU, but now I've found that it almost never, ever occurs to me to watch ESPN Classic.

I used to watch a pretty fair amount of stuff they ran on Classic. Now, I'm watching something only because I came across the channel by accident because I'm rarely surfing channels in the 600s.

Anyone else with DirecTV have the same experience? For those of you with other providers, do you watch Classic much or not?

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I've been with DirecTV for 11 years. I never watch Classic. Only watch ESPNU if there's a local college baseball game on, or the off-chance it has a decent college football matchup.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

OT, I've had DirectTV for about 8 years and don't have ESPN classic. Have espn, espn2, espnnews, espnu.

4. old_tony

It's on channel 614. Is that not included in the programming package you get?

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Actually, I just checked again right now and Classic on 614 requires an extra fee that I'm not paying.

6. old_tony

I receive the channel, my original point is that since they moved it from 208 to 614 I almost never tune to it. I'm never surfing around in the 600 channels. When it was at 208 I probably watched something on that channel at least once a day.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize ESPN Classic still existed. I have FIOS. Not sure if I get it, but I'll check. I'd probably watch some if I knew I had it.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I have no ESPN channels whatsoever. Never been happier.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've never watched ESPN Classic more than 2 seconds at a time while flipping through channels. I doubt I've missed much.

10. JackReacher

Congrats!

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Same here.

I have all the other ESPN channels, MLB Network, NFL Network and the extended Fox Sports package (so I can watch the Braves), but not ESPN Classic.

I thought it was great when it first came out and spent a lot of time watching old games on there. But then it got to the point where you could see all that stuff on YouTube and ESPN Classic became mostly poker and bowling re-runs.

12. JackReacher

OK, so I checked, and I definitely get ESPN Classic. Just not in HD. Which actually makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted