1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL turns Media Day into 'Super Bowl Opening Night' prime-time event

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 1, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is Decision-like:

Fans will sit in the stands of the arena and watch thousands of media interview members of the Super Bowl teams.

Gift bags will be distributed to fans and include a radio to tune into the NFL Network coverage and listen to some of the individual player interviews from the podium microphones. In addition, there will be musical performances and player and cheerleader appearances.

Primetime Super Bowl Opening Night to be held at SAP Center - NFL.com

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's what won't be at media night. East Coast newspapers. I remember when Moddy was editor of the Washington Times and made the choice not to cover the Super Bowl. Back then, it seemed like a controversial decision. This year, it'll be common sense.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I am so glad I don't cover the Super Bowl anymore.

That sounds like hell.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Where's Recovering Journalist when you need him? Jeez.

5. MisterCreosote

I hope none of the players bring their kids.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fans will sit in the stands of the arena and watch thousands of media interview members of the Super Bowl teams.

Fans, otherwise known as complete and utter losers.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is Step One. For years the networks have wanted the Bowl to kickoff at 8 or 9 p.m. EST. Rozelle would only go as far as the current 6:30 because he knew that if East Coast papers couldn't get a final in their early or earlier editions, they wouldn't send reporters out to do Hype Week. It's obvious the league has concluded that it doesn't matter if print media covers the game at all. Look for an 8:45 kickoff by Super Bowl LIII at the latest.

8. JackReacher

As long as the next day is declared a Federal holiday, I'm cool with an 8:45 p.m. kickoff.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Granted, I'm not a TV executive, but if the networks have wanted that then they're blindest, dumbest, most oblivious assholes in the room.
    It doesn't matter when then Super Bowl kicks off. It's the fucking Super Bowl. A third of the country is going to watch it regardless of when it's on -- and part of the reason for that is that 6:30 is close to a perfect time. You can have your party all afternoon, watch the game in the evening, and still get home or in bed at a decent hour.
    From the network side, it also allows for an hour of Post-Super Bowl TV to debut a new show. You're not getting that with an 8:45 kickoff. Good luck getting any kind of audience to tune in to the season premiere of "Madam Secretary" at 2 a.m. on a work night.
    People have already complained about regular-season primetime games dragging on into the night. An 8:45 kickoff for the Super Bowl, which means at least a 1 a.m. finish, might be the tipping point.
    I swear to God, Roger Goodell could fuck up a one-car funeral.

schiezainc likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That confused me, too. It's a Sunday. What would be the reason to have the game at 8:45? If it was a weekday, OK. People need to get home from work, have dinner, settle in. But on a Sunday, 6:30 seems like a pretty optimal time for most people -- you plan your day around it and it doesn't go too late. What would the networks gain from having it at 8:45?

11. MisterCreosote

I've been sleeping through prime-time World Series games for years. Sleeping through a prime-time Super Bowl shouldn't be too hard.

SFIND and JackReacher like this.
  12. JackReacher

I mean, doesn't the NCAA men's basketball championship game start at something awful like 9:15 p.m.?

Fuck that. 6:45 p.m. or whatever is just fine for the Super Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted