1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did you have an Ashley Madison account?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 1, 2015.

?

Did you have an Ashley Madison account?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    97.4%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I recall checking the site out, out of sheer curiosity, after some of their big commercial splashes, but I am pretty sure I didn't sign up. I'm damn sure I didn't sign up with a "real" e-mail address.

schiezainc likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sadly, no.

However, I have noticed an interesting phenomenon on Facebook. (Sorry, Dick -- on FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Some religious women are celebrating that their husbands were on there because it allows them to heal the marriage together.

4. Dick Whitman

Presumably with a joint Facebook account, like all good evangelicals.

jpetrie18 likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

People like Josh Duggar want to sin so they can be forgiven and feel closer to God.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Women...

TyWebb likes this.
  7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I did not have one. Then again, I'm not married. I have a friend who is in an open marriage and had an Ashley Madison account. Even though it wasn't technically "cheating" for him, he said that hooking up with women who were also married was easier because they were less likely to get attached and want more than sex.

I asked him the other day how well he did on the site. He said he talked to some women but never actually met up with him. I didn't have the heart to tell him that those women he did talk to likely weren't real.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You're all LIARS!!!!

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

20 million world wide, or in America?

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

To Poin's question, 10 million were US men, which is where she got the 1:6 number. The thing that REALLY annoys me about her 1:6 number is that she assumes all male users were married, which seems insanely unlikely.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I read yesterday that it was discovted that less than 1,200 of the accounts belonged to living, breathing women. The rest of the female accounts were bots created by the company's staff at the demand of the CEO, who was just fired. Apparently, staffers spent hours each day chatting as women to suckers, er, married men.

I don't believe for a second that site had nearly the amount of real stats as it wants to say it has -- which means a lot of the hacked emails were bots, as well.

12. Dick Whitman

Someone here predicted that, on multiple occasions, and even started a thread on it just a few short weeks ago.

People scoffed at him.

Draft saved Draft deleted