1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texts reveal teenager pressured her "boyfriend" to commit suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A monster and a careless fool.

The Internet plays its part. It's such an unreal environment. You lose humanity in it.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is a db from earlier today, but I'm glad you posted it anyways, since your link has additional info shedding light on the question of her motive. Particularly this passage:

So basically her reason for manipulating this poor kid into killing himself was to garner public attention playing the role of the brave big-hearted martyr left behind? What a devious little psychopath.

I don't want to sound like too much of an old fogie millennial basher, but I can't help but wonder if her being a child raised entirely in today's weird online/reality show world bears partial blame. Kids today are constantly deluged with the idea that one's worth is determined by the number of clicks/eyes upon them, and that without some degree of public notoriety (even if just online) you're nothing. All our cool gadgets have spawned a generation with an unprecedented need for attention. Combine that incentive with a sociopathic personality disorder and a lot of scary shit can result.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Or possibly to either calm a guilty conscience or draw suspicion away from herself. Probably some combination. I'm not sure the teen-age brain always processes these things rationally.

6. Dick Whitman

I don't have a problem with children giving Valentines to all of their classmates. I have a big problem with parents not only encouraging children to seek out romantic interests at very early ages, but then proudly sharing their successes on social media.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

So the guy who rails against social media and its corrosive effects in every other post says that I have "issues" because I don't think parents should be broadcasting their 6-year-olds' puppy love on ... wait for it ... social media.

Makes perfect sense.

Tell Doc I said "hi." Looks like traffic is booming over there.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

We went to the beach a couple weeks ago, me, the wife and the kids. There was a foursome of what appeared to be teen-age girls a couple blankets over from us.

I'm not kidding: They spent at least 80-90 percent of their time there taking photos. One elaborately posed group shot after another, which I'm sure went right up on social media in real time, or close to it. At one point, it appeared they were finally just laying out in the sun. Nope. Someone had the selfie stick out, raised above their heads and shooting down. Another shot.

You're not wrong. We are just coming off the first two of, I suspect, many murders that the perpetrator understood weren't official until they were Facebook Official.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"LOL."

Your issues in no way preclude me having issues, myself. I've often been the first to admit them.

Oh, and:

Would you honestly not grasp "light-hearted" if it smacked you in your teeth?

12. Dick Whitman

Obviously your pally pals don't grasp it, since they clearly think that "I could make you cry" was a serious statement. Dumbfucks, including the grand poobah dumb fuck of them all.

Draft saved Draft deleted