1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teen charged with encouraging boyfriend's suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's really sick, and that first picture of her in the story shows a smirk revealing total disdain.

Involuntary manslaughter isn't enough. She used her cell phone as a weapon.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, the guy started killing himself, then got scared and tried to get out of the car, and she made him, via text message, get back in and finish the job?

That's 600 kinds of fucked up.

SFIND likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Those texts are chilling to read. I can't fathom what she was thinking as she typed them. Did she just want to see how much power she had over this kid? Did she think there's no way he'd listen to her anyway? It's just bizarre.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Goddamn.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My best guess would be that she was depressed, as well, or had fantasized about suicide, and wanted to live it vicariously through him. She wanted to see him carry out what she herself could not bring herself to. I think she also really believed, or at least had convinced herself, that she was helping him out. Teen-age brains are a little different.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Those texts are a frightening glimpse into the head of a sociopath. I'm just curious what her motive was here, what was she looking to get out of it--maybe sympathy/attention for being the poor widdle left behind GF? Or perhaps just the power trip of knowing she could manipulate someone into suicide?

Exhibit A for why you have to watch who your kids get close to. There are some frighteningly sociopathic schemers out there hiding behind pretty faces.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Parenting fail. She should have been an abortion.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Yup. From the story:

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I could've almost bought a "reverse psychology" defense. Until, that is, she told him to get back in the f'ing car and finish himself off.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

She was trying to do the duck face but the photog snapped his shutter a millisecond too early.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I can't believe they charged her with involuntary manslaughter. That's a huge stretch. Apparently Massachusetts has a crime of aiding and abetting suicide and another of accessory before the fact of suicide. Those seem plausible, but manslaughter? WTF?

Experts weigh-in on Michelle Carter manslaughter case

Draft saved Draft deleted