1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walmart stops selling assault rifles, other bad stuff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Aug 26, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Walmart To Stop Selling Assault Rifles, Other Firearms Used In Mass Killings

Walmart is set to stop selling assault rifles, semi-automatic shotguns and other high-capacity weapons of the sort used in mass killings.

The world’s largest retailer confirmed rumors of the move to pro-gun website BearingArms.com on Tuesday afternoon.

Walmart spokesperson Kory Lundberg told the site that lagging sales motivated the big-box giant’s decision rather than politics.

“We previously carried modern sporting rifles in less than a third of our stores,” Lundberg told Forbes. “Our merchandising decisions are driven largely by customer demand. In our everyday course of doing business, we are continually reviewing and adjusting our product assortment to meet our customers’ needs.”

The chain has faced pressure over the past few years to take firearms including the AR-15 off its shelves, both from gun safety groups like Michael Bloomberg-backed Moms Demand Action and, more recently, an Episcopal church in New York’s Financial District.

And, of course, the gun enthusiasts are a little annoyed. Some amusing comments section here...

Walmart Stops Selling MSRs, Some Semi-Automatic Shotguns - Bearing Arms - AR-15, modern sporting rifles, Walmart

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Way to bow to Obama, Walmart!

Lugnuts likes this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    #gunenthusiastlivesmattertoo

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, this will solve...nothing.

cjericho likes this.
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I, for one, welcome gun enthusiasts to the Boycott Walmart coalition.

Lugnuts and WriteThinking like this.
  6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Keeping the military safe from ISIS.

Lugnuts likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The spokesman for Walmart is correct about sales falling for ARs and AKs.

After Sandy Hook, the prices went through the roof on fears they'd be banned. Gun shops were getting $1,500 for base models. Now the exact same rifle can be had for $450 since everybody who wanted one has already bought one.

8. Riptide

Ned Beatty will play him in the movie.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe we could save newspapers by spreading the word that Obama is about to ban them!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Lugnuts and Riptide like this.
  10. Riptide

Except in Kenya!

Ace likes this.
  11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is correct, and I'm certain Walmart's move has little, if anything, to do with politics in this instance, and really is all about money and the viability of sales.

I love working there, but Walmart does nothing without weighing monetary gains, losses and worthiness. Guns really aren't sold in the majority of its stores, and if those models don't sell well, or well enough, they can and will eventually be phased out and deleted from the inventory, just like any other product.

Now, if Walmart ever stops selling ammunition, that will mean something. Really, it's like every day is Black Friday when it comes to ammo sales. Buyers are there, waiting outside the door every morning, even before the first-shift employees have arrived. I know because I often walk in with them, they heading straight to the sporting-goods department while I go off to the time clock.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How can this not be a political or PR move, Write?

Draft saved Draft deleted