1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. or Miss [First Name]

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Aug 25, 2015.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Especially in recent years, I've heard a lot more of people calling others "Mr. [first name]" or "Ms. [first name]."

I. freaking. hate. it.

If it's a child calling me that when I'm in a position of authority over the child, that's one thing. But when it's an adult, I can't stand it.

I get that in many cases, it's intended to be a sign of respect and I get that it's culturally ingrained a lot of times. Doesn't mean I like it, especially when I introduce myself as my first name. That means I want to be called by that first name, not "Mr." in front of that first name.

I also don't get it when people insist on calling me by my legal first name when I introduce myself by the short version. The name I introduce myself by is the name I want to be called. End. of. story.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's a Southern thing. Always addressed my friend's parents in that manner, and do so with my in-laws as well.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I hate when women shake hands, especially with men.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hate it when people say please and thank you.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Lighten up, Francis.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They should curtsey and offer their hand to be kissed.

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

That's MR. Francis!!!

TowelWaver and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well done.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite of this. I use my full name because the short version is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I hate it. Once I went out of state to college and had a relatively clean break from all of my childhood associates who used the short version, I vowed never to use it again except with family and close friends who don't know any better.
    Every so often, though, people who have only known me in adulthood constantly use the short version. It's not worth making a scene about it because I know they don't mean anything by it, but it's still grating.
    One former co-worker, who was kind of a doofus and no one liked, famously asked, "Mind if I call you (short version)?"
    Without missing a beat, I shot back, "Mind if I punch you in the face?"
    He never called me by the short version.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The funny thing is I USED to hate the short version of my name and wanted people to call me by the longer version. I don't *hate* my legal first name, but I'd rather limit the people who call me by that name to family or close friends.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My general reaction to most things: I don't take offense or get bothered unless the person's intent was clearly to offend or bother.

expendable likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you are now the exception.

Draft saved Draft deleted