1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ODU Outrage or Overkill?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 24, 2015.

1. ODU's President is up in arms after some off-campus housing hung some offensive signs to welcome in-coming freshman.
    University leaders outraged after vulgar signs greet incoming freshmen

[​IMG]

Bad Taste? Yes.
    Expected immature college behavior? Yes.
    Outrage meter pegged? It's getting there.

I get that folks are sensitive the idea, belief, premise, prospect, specter of a college rape culture ... But it also adds to the idea, notion, belief (whatever) that colleges are becoming way to PC for their own good and not teaching students about the variety of life and living with and alongside things that may be off-putting and offensive.
    To that: you have several comedians avoiding college campuses for tours.

Comedians Dump Campus Gigs: When Did Colleges Lose Their Sense of Humor?

Should colleges be more PC? It is just kids and parents?
    Lighten up Francis, or people are (rightfully) fed up with stuff that's supposed to be funny, but degrading?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd say those signs constitute sexual harassment and the students involved should face discipline from the school, assuming they can be found and they are even students.

Colleges may be more PC, but this isn't a good example of going over the top.

YankeeFan and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Blame the New York Post. It's their fault.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Doesn't sexual harassment have to be against a specific person(s)?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Every student whose name is on the lease should be suspended for a semester. That shit is horrible.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This is pretty brazen and stupid. If you're a fraternity, do you really want to draw this kind of attention to yourself? Perfectly legitimate for the leader of the institution to be pissed about this.

SFIND likes this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And you'd be wrong.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lighten up, Francis.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

It is horrible, but you can't charge everyone on the lease. So when they have a party and police come in and catch a few with drugs, everyone on the lease should be charged.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go that far, Cran. Dumb stunt that is going to cause plenty of headaches for the administration, but it doesn't rise to the level you think it does. Then again, what does? :)

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Looks like a beautiful campus.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If I were dropping my daughter off that day, I'd be pretty upset about it. I'd probably approach the house and ask who decided to put the signs up. See if any of the bros are ballsy enough to own up to it and come talk about it.

It's pretty disgusting, and I normally have a pretty high tolerance for poor taste. That first sign reads to me like, "Hope your baby is ready for a good time ... because we're going to give it to her whether she likes it or not." I know that's a pretty big leap, but that's just how it came across to me with the ellipses at the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted