1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst fictional coaching decision in movie/TV show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Aug 21, 2015.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I have to give credit on this to a reader of Athlon Sports, the monthly insert I get in my paper, who asked this question in the magazine's Q&A section. The reply cited Mr. Burns' decision to pinch-hit Homer Simpson for Darryl Strawberry in classic "Homer at the Bat" episode of the "The Simpsons," and Coach Nickerson's decision to run a play instead of taking a safety at the end of the game, which led to the loss at Walnut Heights, in "All the Right Moves."

My nomination, although it worked out in the end, is Indians' interim manager Jake Taylor intentionally walking whathisname with two outs to pitch to Jack Parkman. What's worse is that he did it because that's what Ricky Vaughn insisted on. You're the manager, Jake; overrule the punk and remind him you're one out from the World Series. Like Harry Doyle said, "I don't know what the hell he's thinking."

What examples can all of you come up with?

2. How about Nuke LaLoosh's debut pitching outing in Bull Durham? According to the postgame chat between the manager and pitching coach, he both struck out 18 and walked 18, setting new league records. Even if we assume all the Ks were of the three-pitch variety and all the walks were of the four-pitch variety, that's 126 pitches right there, and surely he threw some balls in the Ks, strikes in the walks, and had other outcomes with other batters. Even back in the 80s, who let's a bonus baby throw that many pitches in his pro debut?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's why Nuke blew his arm out at age 22 after going 16-6 and 19-9 his first two seasons.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Coach Dale wanting to use Jimmy Chitwood as a decoy on the last play.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

And Nuke went from Class A straight to the show.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wilford Brimley left Roy Hobbs on the bench way too long and was about to send him down to the minors!

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

All the Right Moves was the one I was going to bring up.

Alma likes this.
  8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

True, but at least he was astute enough to see his players' body language telling him that was a stupid-ass decision.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The real dumbass move in Hoosiers was the South Bend coach having his team shoot the ball with a 40-36 lead and no shot clock.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Technically, the "crane technique" was an illegal move and should have awarded Johnny a point and the championship. But it wasn't a coach's decision (although Miyagi clearly was cheering on the move).

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Oh, and Rocky should have thrown in the towel in Apollo vs. Drago.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Homer never should have started Bart over Nelson at QB.

Draft saved Draft deleted