1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being confronted by a coach...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Aug 20, 2015.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Reading this piece from the Idaho Vandals beat writer after Petrino went after him and then banned him (and the other throng of media covering UIdaho).

Idaho fall camp: Paul Petrino fires at the media

For those of you with experience in this situation how did you deal with it? I remember Urban Meyer going after Jeremy Fowler when he was at the Orlando Sentinel and he handled it about as well as could be expected given the circumstances and all the cameras around.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Paul comes from such a nice family too.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

I know I was shocked when I heard a Petrino was doing something to look like an ass.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I once had a coach tell me he would never answer my questions again. At his next press conference, I arranged with the other reporters to make sure I asked the first question. The coach answered it and that was the last I heard about the issue.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    cjericho and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
  5. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

Don't write kind of immature columns bragging about how professional you are and chastising the coach. Meet with the coach PRIVATELY, as the coach should have done with you. Journalism 101.

Tarheel316, Doc Holliday and SFIND like this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The good news for Petrino is he just picked up an endorsement deal with Amazon.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I guess I'm old school...I wouldn't have written about being yelled at and falsely intimidated. I would have written what the coach said and that he'd hinted at banning the only media that gives a shit about his stank-rear program.

This one is different than the Urban Meyer deal because Meyer did that in front of everyone to make a big show, which makes him a preening ass. My sense of that deal is everybody backed up Fowler on it, and it backfired on Meyer.

SFIND likes this.
  8. HappyCurmudgeon

Yeah Meyer was definitely grandstanding if I remember correctly. Trying to act all fatherly. Same thing with Gundy's "I'm a man, I'm 40" outburst.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't have written about a blowup with a coach unless it got to the point of a physical altercation.

John Chaney, who had a temper (ask John Calipari), tore into me for about three minutes (seemed more like 10) before storming out of the interview area following an NCAA regional game back in the mid '80s. I just stood there and let him shout himself out while trying my very best to appear calm and confident.

About 45 minutes later, while I was sitting courtside covering the next game, the Temple SID tapped me on the shoulder and said Chaney wanted to speak privately with me. So I met Chaney at halftime. He very gracefully and genuinely apologized and explained what set him off.

I walked away with a lot of respect for him.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Didn't like the tone of the reporter's work. Like he was trying to report what happened and lecture coach in same story, which you can't do. Sounds like a small operation, but just write it straight. Minimal first-person if at all possible.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't know. I was in agreement until I read the piece. I think these types of things are generally a bad idea. But a head coach being restrained from yelling at a reporter? That's definitely crossing the line.

12. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

I wanted to read the original story Petrino was mad about, but it's behind a strict paywall.

Draft saved Draft deleted