1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at AL.com?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pipeline says today isn't going to be a good one there but not much detail yet. Anyone know anything?

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

3. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

In Huntsville, I'm told the cuts included a longtime sports/news side columnist along with one photog. Five total.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Drew Champlin, who had recently been promoted to Bama beat, tweeted this week that he was back to doing UAB, but would also be handling Tide and Tigers recruiting. And this was just a couple of weeks after hiring a new Blazers writer.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does Ala. Media Group operate Birmingham, Huntsville and Mobile as a combined operation or separately? For example, does sports have a combined or individual desks? Does the preceding question assume a degree of clarity within the organization structure than actually exists?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's all one company, though there are individual hubs that operate semi-independently on the news side (though less so with every round of layoffs). Sports is run as one statewide entity.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Desk work is centralized in Bham.

9. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

Of course, that desk work is now for a three-day-a-week publication.

10. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Sorry to hear this news. I worked with Jeff Dute years ago back east.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Columnist and good guy Mark McCarter confirms on Facebook that he's among those getting the axe. Just criminal.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The new writer is Gary Estwick, who came over from NOLA. He's moving to high school sports primarily. I don't *think* he got the axe. I don't know of a list being released so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted