1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police shooting leads to murder charge - Virginia Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Aug 18, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Former Fairfax police officer charged with murder of unarmed Springfield man

After two years of deliberation, the cop was fired and charged with second-degree murder of an "unarmed" man who had a holstered gun he had previously threatened to use. Almost an hour into the ensuing negotiations, during which the suspect had put down his weapon, the cop shot him in the gut and killed him.

The cop is adamant the shooting was justified. The officer who negotiated with the victim, however, said he was unarmed and his hands were raised when he was shot.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So we know for absolute certain that one of the cops is lying.

Which is weird because cops always tell the truth.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Which one does Jay Carney support?

doctorquant likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Or that one of them is honestly mistaken, because eyewitness testimony.

doctorquant likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Or they both could be correct. The shooting could have been justified AND the victim could have been unarmed with his hands up when he was shot.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How so?

7. doctorquant

Maybe the shooter was in the process of pulling the trigger when the victim decided to drop his gun and throw his hands up. Maybe the shooter's vision got obscured just at the right (well, wrong) moment. Seems to me these -- or something similar -- aren't impossibilities, although they certainly are unlikely.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

“It was not accidental,” Torres told detectives. “No, it was justified. I have no doubt about that at all. I don’t feel sorry for shooting the guy at all.”

But four officers on the scene and Geer’s father and a friend, who were also there, said Geer’s hands remained above his shoulders when he was shot.

“When the shot happened, his hands were up,” Barnes told detectives. “I’m not here to throw [Torres] under the bus or anything like that, but I didn’t see what he saw.”

Funny thing is, the story says the investigation was handed over to the feds because police wouldn't surrender Torres' internal affairs files. Once they did, the investigation restarted, the grand jury was called, and charges were filed, all within a few months.

9. doctorquant

OK, so I'm probably gonna go with the four officers on the scene.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So many cop gun thug threads ...

Draft saved Draft deleted