1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Straight Outta Compton vs. police?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anyone seen the movie Straight Outta Compton and had any issues?

My son, who is 18, went to see it last week. He said the ticket taker asked to see his ID (move is rated R) after he had already paid for the ticket.

Also several police officers were in the lobby . He said that police and security took four different people out of the theater and he didn't know why as they weren't making any kind of commotion.

Heard that in other places police were noticeably present at some screenings of this movie.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yep, very racist security theater going on at this movie. Meanwhile, white guys are shooting up Batman and Trainwreck.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Had heard there was going to be extra security for this one. I was a senior in high school when the movie Boyz N The Hood came out, and if I recall correctly there were 20 or so instances of violence (either shootings or fistfights, mostly in the parking lot) at various theaters around the country.

My cousin and I were huge NWA fans back in the day, but we're going to wait and see it on a weekend afternoon just to be on the safe side. (I generally do that anyway, both to save money and because these days I have trouble staying awake in a dark room after 10 pm or so).

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw the trailer for this and was amazed at how much the cast looks like their respective characters, particularly Ice Cube, only to find out Ice Cube is played by his own son.

I was listening to "Fuck tha Police" on my iPhone while doing some yard work over the weekend (I've bought the album Straight Outta Compton in three formats since its initial release in 1988) and all I could think of was how obvious it was to anyone who was paying attention that it was only a matter of time before the L.A. riots happened. The vitriol and anger is so evident and raw, it wasn't a question of if there would be riots, it was just a question of when.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That shot in the trailer - this one - gets me excited every time. What a great song. Granted, I'm a mark for NWA and everything Dre and Cube put out in the 90s.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Maybe the biggest mystery in the world is how gangsta rappers made millions and millions mostly because of white, suburban teens.

7. bigpern23

Yeah, I mean, why would anyone want to be exposed to cultures outside of their own immediate experience? White suburban teens should only listen to Taylor Swift and Adam Levine. While they're at it, they should avoid the writings of Maya Angelou and Cornel West, and stick to John Green and Judy Blume novels.

Ace likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's crazy, BP.

Adam Levine is too edgy for white suburbans with all those tattoos.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing about Ice Cube Jr. Same angry look and all.

All through high school, if my kids were in the car, we battled between having the station on NPR or hip hop.

10. bigpern23

I was going to go with Ed Sheeran, but he's from the UK, so that's a no-go. Andy Grammer?

Ace likes this.
  11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

White Suburban Teens: Leaders of The Struggle.

On the bright side, they certainly did learn new things ... like how to mistreat women.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And another thing ... Do The Right Thing sucked! Amirite tony?

Draft saved Draft deleted