1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inside Amazon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 17, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Great article. Imagine what they could have done with better access.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm sure that from a business standpoint there's something to be said about the Hunger Games approach, pitting people against one another creates good competition and a true meritocracy. I bet the shareholders love it.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Read it yesterday. This note stuck with me:

Bo Olson was one of them. He lasted less than two years in a book marketing role and said that his enduring image was watching people weep in the office, a sight other workers described as well. “You walk out of a conference room and you’ll see a grown man covering his face,” he said. “Nearly every person I worked with, I saw cry at their desk.”

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's what it's all about.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sounds like Amazon should be high on the list of "Next Places Where Someone Will Go Postal."

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Customers love Amazon.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This customer loves Amazon.

But that story is eye-opening. I fear the rest of corporate America will go that route as well...it's all about incentive. What incentive does Amazon (or any other company) have to treat workers better or pay them more, if there's a line around the door of people waiting to work there?

Blue and white-collar life is going to get a lot worse in the US before it gets better.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He should counter with his own story in the WaPo!

murphyc and 93Devil like this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My understanding is that conditions are pretty hard for those $10 an hour jobs stocking the warehouses, too.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted