1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Eating 40 Teaspoons of Sugar a Day Can Do to You

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Soda has been a major target in the debate over sugar and its role in the obesity crisis. But high levels of added sugars can be found in many seemingly healthful foods, from yogurts to energy bars and even whole-grain bread.

A new movie called “That Sugar Film” seeks to educate consumers about the hazards of consuming too much added sugar, which can be found in an estimated 80 percent of all supermarket foods. The new documentary stars Australian actor-director, Damon Gameau, who modeled his movie after “Super Size Me,” the 2004 film that followed Morgan Spurlock as he consumed an all-McDonald’s diet for 30 days.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...can-do-to-you/?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Sonjay Gupta piece on 60 Minutes is as good of a report on sugar as you're going to see.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Never would have thought 40 teaspoons of sugar a day or 30 straight days of McDonalds wouldn't be a good idea until these guys made the movies.

studthug12, sgreenwell, BDC99 and 5 others like this.
  4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Next in the New York Times... "Banging Your Head Against the Wall for 20 Minutes a Day May be Unhealthy"

cjericho likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, football season is upon us... So that story would work.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Really should have been a discussion point of emphasis during the Women's World Cup. #Boom70 #throwback

Vombatus likes this.
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The "non-negotiable" treadmill session will work off some of it.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Went 8 weeks without sugar.

Ate ice cream one night while on vacation last week. Just finished dinner, and I am craving ice cream like crazy.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Also watched the movie. It's pretty good.

Not a ton that an educated person -- or someone who's read Ragu's posts -- would be surprised by.

I guess the interesting thing is that he ate basically the same amount of calories before this experiment as during it, and the sugar he added was from foods that are perceived to be healthy, like yogurt, fruit juice, etc. He gained about 17lbs in 60 days.

It just shows how easy it is to consume a lot of sugar without realizing it, if you don't pay attention.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

My New Year's resolution a few years back was to cut soda out entirely for a year. I had a pretty big dependance on Coke. I've had soda since, but it actually tastes bad to me now.

I've replaced it with black coffee and unsweetened iced tea, and it's made me noticeably more healthy.

I also had a friend when I was a kid who got ulcer-like pains and doctors told him it was because he drank one or two Cokes a day.

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Moral?

No cokes!

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, I had a friend when I was a kid who had terrible pain in his left eye. His doctor told him to stop sticking that damn pencil in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted