1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new mad scientist of football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 14, 2015.

1. read about this guy a few years ago and his philosophy of not punting and onside kicking after scores. He bases these decisions on analytics and stats. And NFL folks have been picking his brain.
    Now he's got another idea to unveil this fall.

The highly successful high school coach who never punts has another radical idea

I can understand seldom punting and the onside kicks. Not sure about the lateral style. Especially at high school. It will take a lot of discipline.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Love this guy's philosophy. I've always thought teams are way too willing to punt the ball away and should be more daring with onside kicks. And more laterals would be fun too. Unlike baseball's sabermetric revolution--which made the game more boring to watch--these are ideas that would make the sport more entertaining if they caught on.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've made the baseball argument here. Watching guys strike out and walk sucks.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One big advantage that isn't mentioned often with this guy is I bet players absolutely love doing this stuff. Backyard football. So imagine how much more effort he gets from his players.

Not a huge consideration I suppose as you go up the ladder, but a really big deal in high school.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It helps to execute out-of-the-box football concepts when you have superior athletes.

Pulaski Academy is a private school competing against mostly public schools, with few residency restrictions. Central Arkansas has some good athletes, but the talent pool is obviously thinner than Texas or Florida, and PA has the pick of what there is. (This is not a new problem in lots of states where privates and publics mix.)

At your average school with a bunch of slow, small and um, non-athletic kids, no coach is ever going for it on fourth-and-11 unless it's out of desperation at the end.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Punting in football is very overrated. An interception is deemed as a disaster but no one shrugs when a ball is punted.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

You try stuff like that you'd better win.

Draft saved Draft deleted