1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A defense of Ann Coulter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And a rather oddball one at that.

It's worth a read, but it works (I think?) off the false premise that conservative personalities never have any fun and walk through their days rage-fueled...and the fact that Coulter finds her life fulfilling and fun intimates either:

B. She's not that bad of a person, especially if she's drawn a certain fanbase.
    C. It must be performance art, a show, an act.

While C is a definite possibility - and the scariest one, in a way, because it'd be pathetic - I'd argue the piece ignores the most likely option,

A. That she believes all of it, happily reaps the rewards from it, and, enjoying her place of privilege, asserts that place to her heart's content, because who's ever stopped her and who's going to now?

All that said...this graf...

To prep for arguments, she read books like Barry Goldwater's Consciousness of a Conservative. She credits her "feistiness" in debates to her southern mother and her views to her father, a lawyer who loved Senator Joseph McCarthy. At age 14, she visited her older brother in New York City where he attended law school. While he was in class, he had his little sister read books by Milton Friedman and Treasury Secretary Bill Simon. When he got home from class, he quizzed Coulter. As a reward, he and his friends took her out to bars on the Upper East Side. Reading Republican books made Coulter dream about working as a writer.

and this graf...

Before he even read Slander, Jones died of cancer. Without him to protect Coulter, HarperCollins killed her book contract shortly before 9/11. Suddenly she went from being a New York Times bestseller with a potentially huge publishing career to a poor woman who owed her entire book advance back to the publisher.

"I was poverty stricken," Coulter says. "That's when I was headed towards [living under the] Brooklyn bridge."

...the writer better hope that's all true.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

People like to have their belief system (and prejudices) reinforced, which is why Ann Coulter is a millionaire.
    As an aside, do childhood pictures of Coulter even exist?
    That might dispel a few rumors.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Like:

D). She has a dick and male privilege.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I stopped reading after the first graf.

"Everything is going well--until I call Coulter a fag hag."

Uh, OK.

5. Vombatus

Don't know about Rick Stain, but I would.

Where is Rick, anyway?

Big Circus and Liut like this.
  6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

She wasn't the worst actor in Sharknado 3.

There’s my defense of Ann Coulter.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Big Circus likes this.
  8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Jay, how about changing the title on the link and adding a "NSFW" warning?

9. Vombatus

Freqposter would have written a better Coulter sex story which would be less crass, include subterfuge and advice on how to live with oneself after the deed is done and you've wiped your dick off.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

#FreeRickStain

11. Vombatus

Wherever he is, I hope he is getting some.

#RickStain'sLifeMatters

Big Circus and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

She's basically Bobby "The Brain" Heenan without Monsoon there to bark, "WILL YOU STOP?!"

Draft saved Draft deleted