1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2015.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its laughable how gambling over the internet is illegal for sporting events, and poker. But perfectly legal for horse racing and one day fantasy. #politics

If you haven't turned on your tv for sports lately, get ready. There are ads and commercials for Draft Kings everywhere. I'm already sick of the guy in the throwback Brady jersey who won a million dollars.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I hope they keep advertising, too. Come one, come all.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Anybody here try Draft Kings? I've seen/heard their ads everywhere but have no idea how it actually works (or how it is legal).

4. Dick Whitman

I do FanDuel. We have a thread on it somewhere.

You have a salary cap for the day. At Fan Duel, it's $35,000. Players have salaries assigned. They fluctuate a little, typically by how the player has been performing. You pick a lineup and a pitcher, and have to be under the cap. Then you pick a game to enter. These include:

• Head-to-head competition against another player;
    • A "50/50" field in which you compete against anywhere from 10 to thousands of entrants. If you finish in the top half, you double your money (minus the rake);
    • A "tournament," in which you have to finish in a top percentile, like top 20 percent, to cash in. But the prizes can be enormous. There are some tournaments that pay out $5,000 or $7,500, for example, on a $2 or $5 bet if you finish first.
    It's fun, but it can be maddening. Recently I think I lost 19 out of 20 bets. On the other one, I finished first out of 100 entrants, by a large margin over the second place player, 68-56.

There are $1 games, all the way up to $1,000 and more, I think.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've used both DraftKings (DraftStreet before DK bought it out) and FanDuel. I stuck with DraftKings mainly because my account at FanDuel went dry first. Same format as Dick outlined above.

6. Dick Whitman

Don't you pick two pitchers there?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would swipe right so hard on Brandon Belt.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm no Pete Rose apologist, but MLB getting in bed with these guys turns their beef with him into a sham.

10. Dick Whitman

Do you see a distinction between fans betting on baseball and participants betting on baseball?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yes. But I see less of one between league and front-office types "consorting with gamblers" and managers and players doing the same. It doesn't have to be an identical match to be hypocritical.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Game, set, match.

Draft saved Draft deleted