1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jimmy Carter battling cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Aug 12, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Prognosis doesn't look good for our 39th president. Jimmy Carter recently had surgery to remove a mass from his liver, and cancer has spread to other parts of his body.

From the AP:

ATLANTA (AP) — Former President Jimmy Carter revealed that recent liver surgery found cancer has spread in his body but gave few details about his prognosis in a brief statement released Wednesday.

"Recent liver surgery revealed that I have cancer that now is in other parts of my body," Carter said in the statement released by the Carter Center. "I will be rearranging my schedule as necessary so I can undergo treatment by physicians at Emory Healthcare."

The statement makes clear that Carter's cancer is widely spread, but not where it originated, or even if that is known at this point. The liver is often a place where cancer spreads and less commonly is the primary source of it. It said further information will be provided when more facts are known, "possibly next week."

Carter, 90, announced on Aug. 3 that he had surgery to remove a small mass from his liver.

2. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear this. Cancer sucks.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Can't wait till this turns into a shit show.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This sucks. Same type stuff killed my dad. Started on the pancreas and moved to the rest of his organs from there. He lasted about seven months.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I plan to behave. Hope he recovers soon.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Read where several members of his family had died from pancreatic cancer. Truly awful.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Pancreatic cancer is so deadly because it shows hardly any symptoms at all, and by the time it does, it's likely already metastasized.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, not that any cancer is good, but that's a particularly nasty one.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agreed. That's the cancer that took Patrick Swayze and anyone who saw his last weeks (he was very open in describing what every morning of treatment was like) knows it is particularly awful.

Politics aside, President Carter is one of the finest men to ever take the oath of office. His work after leaving 1600 was one of selflessness and service. A model for any able-bodied person once their political life ends.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And that, IMO is a hell of a better legacy than "We'll put a boot in your ass / it's the American way."

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My sister's friend/one-time boyfriend had skin cancer. It was removed, he was doing fine, then the cancer reappeared in his pancreas. He was dead within months. Cancer -- of any kind -- most definitely sucks.

It doesn't look good for Carter, but the good work he did out of office will live on.

Draft saved Draft deleted