1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Declining an offer to get back in the business.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writerdownsouth, Aug 11, 2015.

1. writerdownsouth

writerdownsouth New Member

I wrote for a daily paper for two years in Podunk before I was able to find a 9-5 job back home. I happily quit and never looked back. I enjoyed writing and covering teams, but absolutely hated everything else that came along with the job.

I've been freelancing at the local paper here at home since I moved back about 8 months ago, and today I was offered a full time job that would have the same duties as the one I left. How do I gracefully let them know that I don't want to get back into the newspaper business and am only interested in freelancing?

Anyone else been in this situation? I had the initial rush of yes! Let me get back in. But then I remembered why I left.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tell them you don't want to get back into the newspaper business and are only interested in freelancing.

Riptide, sgreenwell and SnarkShark like this.
  3. writerdownsouth

writerdownsouth New Member

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's really that simple. Anyone who is still in the newspaper business will certainly understand.

SnarkShark likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You can be even more concise. Just say you like freelancing. Skip the other part.

It sounds like you appreciate the offer but have also come to appreciate freelancing, and you could just tell them that, as well.

6. SBR

SBR Member

Not only will they understand, they might ask him if his place is hiring.

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

"Tell them you don't want to get back into the newspaper business and are only interested in freelancing."

This is the right answer, although you might consider phrasing it a little differently. Tell them you're happy with your current job, rather than telling them you don't want a newspaper job. Of course, that assumes you are happy with your current job. Newspaper people already know why working for a newspaper isn't attractive to everyone.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

All those people looking for their first job out of college need to start PMing the OP (Seriously).

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better, WDS, a good local freelancer is much harder to find than a full-time staffer.

You can hire a writer from across the country. With a freelancer covering local events, you are pretty much stuck with locals and working around their strengths, weaknesses, schedules, etc. So a good, eager freelancer is gold.

The editor may be thrilled that you want to keep freelancing but was being stand up in offering you the position.

Tweener and sgreenwell like this.
  10. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Tell the place you might be interested, then use the fake interest to try to negotiate a bump in the freelancing pay.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's a great way to become their ex-freelancer. Stick with the truth, always.

Danwriter likes this.
  12. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

That's weak-willed thinking. He is operating from a position of strength and should maximize that position as long as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted