1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL WR living on $60K a year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 11, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That'll change as soon as his teammates run up a $100,000 bill and stick him with it.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Good for him.

I like this story, too: Jordy Nelson still spends 12 hours per day working the family farm in the offseason - Business Insider

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sounds like he'll be able to afford it at least. And I'm guessing that happens more to rookies, which he is not.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I remember reading a story that Gronk doesn't spend any of his nfl salary. Pays all his expenses off endorsement deals and saves the rest.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

In a similar vein, I read one time that Kyle Korver basically lived off his per diem during the season and banked his salary.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Antoine Walker thinks this guy is an idiot.

jpetrie18 and Liut like this.
  8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine went to high school with Jordy, so I've hung out with him a few times. I can't imagine there is a nicer, more normal guy in major pro sports.

The guy definitely remembers he was once a walk on Bill Snyder wouldn't even speak to and is incredibly humble.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

According to the story, he just bought a house in Texas. If he and his wife and kid are living in anything better than a flop-house apartment in metro Detroit, they're spending more than $60,000.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's a lot easier to "live" on $60,000 a year when you have a multi-million-dollar safety net in the bank.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He might have paid cash for the Texas house out of his bonus. That wouldn't be difficult to do at all if the house fits in with the "modest living" ethos. $300-400K would get him something pretty nice.

Anyway he did say "give or take." Even if the total has gone up to $100K/year, that's still a pretty good lesson set against all the dumbasses in his locker room who are going to be flat broke and divorced a year after they're out of the league.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Living" on $60,000 is a lot different than "earning" $60,000, which is reduced to about $43,000 by federal, state, FICA and medicare taxes even before you think about putting some away into the 401(k).

Draft saved Draft deleted