1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Martinsville, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

Date Posted July 31, 2015
    Location Martinsville, Virginia
    Position Reporter
    Specialty Sports/Outdoors
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Not Specified
    Website http://MartinsvilleBulletin.com

Description:
    The Martinsville Bulletin is seeking an enthusiastic and dynamic sports reporter. The ideal candidate believes in newspapers and the importance in local sports news. The Martinsville Bulletin, a 6 day daily newspaper located in beautiful Southern Virginia, has an opening for a Sports Reporter to cover prep Sports, high school baseball, basketball and football, NASCAR (We have two races each year) and other racing events. The right candidate will be able to see beyond the daily grind to tell the stories our readers can’t get anywhere else. One to three years of daily newspaper experience is preferred, but we will consider college graduates with internship experience. Multimedia experience is a plus. Please email a cover letter and a resume to editor Brandon Walker at Brandon.Walker@martinsvillebulletin.com. Apply online: BH Media.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I believe former Bristol SE Sam Jackson is the ME at this paper. If so, he's one of the really, really good guys in the business.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

If Ginny Wray is no longer at the Bulletin, this is probably a good gig for an up-and-comer.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

The downside is that its now owned by BH Media ... don't believe the hype that Warren Buffett's ownership would be good for the papers (and the people working for them) ...

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Good point, but is there any newspaper owned by a company that *isn't* a red flag right now? Seems like every chain who owns a paper is varying degrees of terrible.

6. bostonlocal10

bostonlocal10 New Member

You won't find much better job security in newspapers. As someone who worked for a BH Media paper and has friends who still do, I can say from experience that it's nice to not worry about furloughs or layoffs after a bad quarter or two. The newspapers are such a small part of BH, and that's beneficial to our side.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Outside of (still) not getting raises, BH has been a fantastic company to work for. No furloughs. Haven't heard of many, if any, newsroom layoffs. Travel budgets are well funded. Considering the previous owner was Media General, it's been quite pleasant, thanks.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That's about what I was fixing to post, though they did shutter Manassas (which may have been an inevitability no matter who owned it) and I believe Greensboro took a hard hit after BH picked it up from whatever the hell Landmark is now. Most everything I've heard about BH has been largely positive.

9. JBondurant804

JBondurant804 Member

The Bulletin was acquired by BH Media in the last three months. Having spent the first three years of my career working both part-time and full-time for two different BH papers, I really don't have any complaints. The folks in Martinsville are good people, and now that they're under the same umbrella as a good amount of other Virginia papers, this makes coverage, particularly for out-of-town games, optimal.

Draft saved Draft deleted