1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excellent story on Darren Wilson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There's no small bit of empathy here from the New Yorker.

That said, Wilson comes off as having such a low emotional intelligence - perhaps for some decent reasons - that his understanding of the world around him seems...mediocre on a good day.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The story seems to gloss over the fact that the guy is speaking in dog-whistle the entire time about "cultures" and "home environments" and other right-wing code for more nefarious terms.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Thought that it was a very well written article. As Alma wrote, Wilson comes across as fairly detached, but not a overt racist or bad person. The systemic issues surrounding policing in that area are pretty damning.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who is that?

How do you keep up with all these people?

6. YankeeFan

Deray has become the most famous "professional protestor" since Ferguson.

He's a prolific tweeter. He's everywhere now, and he's one of the top spokespersons of the Black Lives Matter movement.

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I chuckled when I read that he is married to a fellow cop. In my area we joke about the "Police Orgies" that must go on as they are all fucking each other left and right. Another reason I don't trust a bunch of those creeps. I am related by marriage to a scumbag cop and he and his wife ( a cop) were both married , she was pregnant, when they started to screw around. They both left their spouses and basically ignore the 2 kids from her first marriage. I feel terrible for those kids. Bad people all around. But I guess I should respect them because they are cops.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It was the first time that Wilson had used his gun in the line of duty.

9. YankeeFan

How is that different than any profession?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At 12:05 P.M., an ambulance—carrying the infant Wilson had assisted—came across the scene, and a paramedic pronounced Brown dead.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Fixed.

12. YankeeFan

That's one I had in mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted