1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/News Reporter - Navasota, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking sports and news reporter

Date Posted August 01, 2015
    Location Navasota, Texas
    Position Reporter
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary $25,000 to $30,000
    Website http://www.navasotaexaminer.com

Description:
    The Navasota Examiner is seeking an energetic and digital-savvy sports and news reporter to join our team. The ideal candidate is an experienced sports reporter (we are home to the 3A state championship Rattlers high school football team) who is also comfortable covering breaking news. Online and social media knowledge a must, along with traditional print skills. Knowledge of AP style and ability to work as part of team in a deadline-oriented environment essential. Please email a cover letter and resume to Publisher Angel Rosamond at publisher@navasotaexaminer.com.

Navasota is a charming community about 20 miles southeast of Bryan-College Station, home of Texas A&M University, and about 70 miles northwest of downtown Houston.The Examiner is part of Granite Publications, a family of community newspapers and two printing facilities located in towns across the state of Texas. With more than 30 years in the newspaper business, Granite is committed to providing excellent community journalism.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Navasota is 4A now.

3. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Saw them last year at the state championship against Argyle. Talented as all get out. I've passed through Navasota on the way to B/CS, but this would be good for someone looking to cover a big time HS football program.

4. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

High five to someone who knows that

5. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

WR coming back set a national record last year with 39 TD receptions, including four in state championship win in 2 OT. He's committed to Texas. QB set a state record for TD passes in a season with 71. He's back, too. I've got lots more info on the town, coach, school, newspaper as I've worked there. Hit me on PM if you want more info.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I can't say much about the town of Navasota itself good or bad. The HS football team is pretty talented, and the coach, Lee Fedora, brother of North Carolina coach Larry Fedora, is for the most part pretty easy to work with and classy. He will read your stuff.
    Almost two decades ago I covered one of his first games as a high school head coach. Had little dealings with him since. Then two years ago I covered a playoff game that involved one of our local schools against the Rattlers. As I walked up to him to reintroduce myself I was greeted with "Hey Joe_Schmoe, how are you doing?" Got my quotes and we chatted a few minutes afterward. The next day I got back to the office, saw an email from him thanking us for the coverage of the game. I don't a local coach that's ever done that, so for an out of area coach to do so I thought was very classy.
    I can't guarantee he'll be that way with anyone else, he may have just liked and remembered the initial coverage we gave his first team, but still.

Draft saved Draft deleted