1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Law School Scam: Dean of for-profit school begs grads not to take bar exam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Aug 3, 2015.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Apparently Infilaw - a for-profit company that operates three law schools - offers some of its graduates $5,000 not to take the bar exam in an effort to protect their bar passage rates and keep accreditation. This just might be a new low for legal education, and it comes just when I didn't think things could get lower.

Law School Dean Allegedly Begged Graduates Not To Take The Bar Exam — On The Day Before The Test | Above the Law

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anyone who took that crappy offer definitely wouldn't pass the bar. They've at least got to throw in all tuition you paid.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

And many who turned it down are also unlikely to pass. These schools shouldn't even exist.

Ace likes this.
  4. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Obligatory link to Adult Swim clip:

franticscribe likes this.
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

6. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

As someone in the profession, I truly feel for those who are being essentially scammed. I do see some excellent lawyers who come from less than prestigious schools but the chances are very slim for those from schools who have essentially open enrollment. Using my economics background, the opportunity cost for paying and attending such a school are so high, I would not recommend it for anyone, unless that person knew they were basically taking a lottery ticket.

franticscribe and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure anything after the first four words is necessary in the subject line.

franticscribe and doctorquant like this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The University of American Samoa. Go Sandcrabs!

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

For-Profit Education is one of the great oxymorons of our time.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted