1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Billy Pierce

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WCIBN, Jul 31, 2015.

1. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

[​IMG]

Former White Sox LHP Billy Pierce has died at the age of 88. He was an important member of those "Go-Go White Sox" teams in the '50s. Pierce and Whitey Ford were generally considered the two best left-handed starters in the American League in the 1950s. He also pitched for the Detroit Tigers and the San Francisco Giants. The White Sox retired jersey #19 in his honor back in 1987 and there is a statute of him in the outfield concourse at U.S. Cellular Field.

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/140109676/former-white-sox-pitcher-billy-pierce-dies

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

My dad's favorite pitcher growing up. Not a tough choice.

A year ago, my uncle picked his life-time White Sox pitching rotation for me. (And I did the same.)

He went:

Pierce
    Buehrle
    Sale
    McDowell
    Hoyt

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Lost a perfect game on the 27th out in 1958.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Go-Go? He gone-gone.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Dickie don't keep us in suspense, where is your list? Britt Burns and Steve Trout are waiting.

7. Dick Whitman

Alex Fernandez for Pierce.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The second player to die since being on the Expansion Committee ballot in December. Dick Allen, Tony Oliva, Jim Kaat, Maury Wills and Luis Tiant better watch their step.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That guy was dominant for a few years. Liked eating more than exercise, should have had a longer career.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Pierce
    Buehrle
    Sale
    McDowell
    LaRoche

Draft saved Draft deleted