1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now Playing: Dogs, Pigs and Sheep (Animals)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Pink Floyd albums.

What sayeth the rest of the group?

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Their best album, IMO. Gilmour is incredible on the long tracks.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

No, to both.

Floyd's best album was Meddle, featuring the immortal "Echoes." And while the critics didn't care for it, I love Atom Heart Mother. That was the record that introduced me to PF way back when. That, and Ummagumma. The live version of "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" on that album is incredible.

Animals, IMO, is too gimmicky and doesn't hold up well.

4. Mr. Sunshine

More gimmicky than The Wall?

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Well .... yeah.

I think the difference was The Wall was conceived as a concept album, and the songs (which were superior, IMO)reflected that. It was supposed to be gimmicky. I just thought the bloated pig and rabid sheep imagery, and especially the barking dogs (clevvvver) on Animals were unintentionally way over the top.

Of course, my opinion is also colored by the fact that I saw them on that tour (summer of '77) and was fairly underwhelmed. They played the three songs on Animals, Wish You Were Here in the same order as the on the album, Money for their encore and that was it. They were much, much better when I saw them in '94.

6. Mr. Sunshine

The first concert I saw was Floyd in '88. Sheep was the highlight, so ...

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Meddle is great, especially Fearless, with Liverpool supporters signing YNWA. Animals, IMO, also is great. Think Wish You Were Here is the best though.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I enjoy Meddle as an album in general........That first note in Echoes........you instantly know what it is when you hear it......I always just sit back......grab a cold beer (hell, I could drink a 6-pack as long as it is).......and just chill.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"One of These Days" is fucking awesome....

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've always considered Animals to be Pink Floyd's best, followed closely by Wish You Were Here.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Those would probably be a dead heat for my favorite, although The Piper at the Gates of Dawn will always have a hold a special place for me--beyond the big album side openers with Astronomy and Interstellar, love the quirky little tunes like The Gnome, Chapter 24 and Bike.

I Should Coco likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What, no love for The Final Cut?

Draft saved Draft deleted