1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma family massacre

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This one didn't seem to get a ton of attention, but ... holy shit. Two teen-age brothers, a 16-year-old and an 18-year old, allegedly killed their parents and three younger siblings, ages 5, 7, and 12, with kitchen knives and a hatchet. Another sibling, 13, was critically wounded but survived and another, 2, was unharmed.

Oklahoma girl, 13, reportedly named brothers as assailants who fatally stabbed parents, 3 sibilngs | Fox News

I'm quite interested in hearing more come out about this. It's unfathomable.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds crazy. Not surprising that the kids seemed to be cut off from outside contact.

Home schooled. Didn't socialize with others. Kept to themselves.

So who knows what was going on in the house?

3. Dick Whitman

The thing that always made Columbine so shocking to me wasn't just the carnage - we see that on a weekly basis these days - or even the setting, though that was obviously also a big part of it. It was that two kids got together and carried it out, rather than just one lone nut.

Same here.

4. doctorx

doctorx Member

Guns, illegal aliens, Muslims not involved. Thus it does not "rise to the level."

Nevertheless, horrible.

5. Dick Whitman

It seems like domestic disputes ending in bloodbaths don't get the attention that random public violence does. People, I think, feel like they can avoid the kind of situation that occurred in Oklahoma, whereas everyone can picture themselves minding their business at a movie theater or Brown's Chicken.

It's the same phenomenon that makes people more scared of airplanes than driving a car.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    I Should Coco and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Story said a shipment of ammo was slated to be delivered.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Basically true. Nowadays stories that don't implicate debate "issues" lose traction very quickly. Yeah, it's ungodly horrible and all, but what is there to argue about?

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Home schooling?

LongTimeListener and JackReacher like this.
  9. Mr. Sunshine

I know a couple who home school. But they have their kids involved in all kinds of stuff otherwise.

As much of a mess as the educational system can be, I can't imagine putting up the potential social roadblock of home schooling.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yeah, you should check it out. All the rage amongst the conservatives right now, that and charter schools.

Both are things white people like. You'd fit right in.

#weenies4america

11. Mr. Sunshine

You're giving "The Educator" a run for his money lately.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know. I saw/read about this right when it occurred and thought it was pretty darned terrible and pretty unusual. Thus, yes, it did, in fact, "rise to the level."

But then, I decided, frankly, that I'm so sick of all this kind of stuff that I just didn't feel like posting it. I'm probably not the only one.

Now, I just hope the sister who survived to identify the attackers gets any and all protection she needs, or may ever need, from her brothers.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted