1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bernie Miklasz leaving St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Human_Paraquat, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What a huge loss for the P-D.

3. Michael Pointer

Michael Pointer New Member

Massive loss. Terrific reporter, good dude, well respected. . .Not many columnists dominate his or her market like he did. Tough blow for the Post-Dispatch and a bad sign for our industry in general. He's leaving for a radio show. That's something you're supposed to do on the side, right?

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's a nuclear bomb dropped on the P-D. What, within a month they lose their two top names - McClellan (except for one a week of something) and mow Bernie.

Absolutely devastating, and much more so than people like Kravitz bolting the Star

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem like that long ago the KC Star had Posnanski, Whitlock, Jeff Passan, Bob Dutton, Jason King, Elizabeth Merrill, Ivan Carter and probably other great people I'm not coming up with off the top of my head.

The shop survives and has some really good people working there now, but man, the exodus out of newspapers can be brutal.

6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Always enjoyed his work, going all the way back to when he was the football Cardinals' beat writer in their final seasons in St. Louis. Huge loss for the P-D.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This surprises me that Miklasz would actually leave for a radio show...

He's had a radio show in St. Louis for the last 20 years.

St. Louis is a sports market where the same 10 dudes have a radio show -- but they each shuffle between 3 or 4 different stations when new ownership comes in and changes the format.

It's been the perfect market for the "double-dipping" radio host -- the TV sports anchor/newspaper columnist/play-by-play guy who gets 70% of his income and the health benefits from the main gig and 30% extra from a radio show.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

Not for sure, but I think he kept getting so many things piled on his plate at the P-D that he gave up his radio duties for for the last few years. He was doing online-only columns, video reports from his home, plus all the "for-print" duties. I remember someone criticizing him on the P-D message boards for the length of a commercial before a subscriber-only video of his played, and he kind of went off about how he doesn't get any input in that - though he has made his feelings known - and went on about how much he is expected to do every single day for them.

I'd bet the return to radio offer has been out there for a while. Maybe the last set of layoffs there were the last straw for him? In any case, it's a great gig, but I wouldn't want to be the one expected to fill those shoes.

9. He has tweeted that he will continue writing columns, regularly and available on the radio's website.

I do have plenty respect for the guys who cover all platforms — writing (online or print), radio or podcast, television or online video — and do it all well.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'm sure the new 24/7 aspect of newspapers can be quite annoying to someone as talented as Bernie. Nobody's going to read what he writes for the radio website, but he'll continue to be a star on the radio as he is the best. I worked in St. Louis for a spell and he may be the most popular and talented journalist from that city in history. If the paper worked him so hard he had to flee, they got what they deserved. He is the best.

BurnsWhenIPee and dieditor like this.
  11. dieditor

dieditor Member

You're right. When he gave up his radio show a couple years ago he said it was specifically so he could write more. He was doing a baseball podcast with Derrick Goold that was outstanding but I think the rest of the workload made it too much to do on a regular basis.

Joe Strauss is great as the number two columnist but may have a hard time filling that role; he tends to piss off the "Best Fans in Baseball" too much.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

And that may be what the BFIB need, honestly. But I can't see anyone on staff stepping into that role and succeeding. It would have to be similar to the Star going completely off the grid and landing someone like Doyel.

I'll be interested to see the P-D's coverage of the Rams and their new stadium situation going forward. I love Bernie, but he was definitely carrying the city's water on that whole story.

Draft saved Draft deleted