1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six injured in shooting at Louisiana move theater; shooter kills self

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 23, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Motive is unclear:

A shooting has taken place at a movie theater in Lafayette, La., and reports on Twitter indicate several people may have been injured.

No one with any information on the shooting at the Grand Theatre could be reached at the Lafayette Police Department late Thursday. A woman who answered the phone at the Sheriff's Office said she was not at liberty to say anything about the shooting and referred back to the police department.

WItness Katie Domingue of Carencro, La., told The Advertiser that she was at the theater with her fiance for the 7 p.m. showing of "Train Wreck" when, about 20 minutes into the movcie, she heard a loud noise. She looked up and saw "an older white man" shooting, but not in her direction, she said.

6 hurt, shooter dead in La. theater shooting

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Jesus. I know we have been over there not being more mass shootings than in the past, but that is incredible to me.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Unless he killed/kills at least four, it won't even meet the criteria of some to be called a "mass shooting":

The researchers used a database created by Mother Jones to look at mass shootings, which they defined as attacks that "took place in public, in which the shooter and the victims generally were unrelated and unknown to each other, and in which the shooter murdered four or more people."

Harvard Researchers: Every 64 Days There's A Mass Shooting (UPDATED)

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So I could shoot 35 people, and if only 3 die, I'm good? Silly. But I guess they need to define it somehow.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hope he's Muslim and a stoner so we can denigrate him.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Link to marijuana coming on Page 4.

JackReacher and YankeeFan like this.
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I was going to ask if he was a hippie. But I'm sure if he was, YF will find out!

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bill Clinton link coming in 3 ... 2 ...

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If this country will make some hard decisions and put stricter controls on movie theaters and schools, I think we can curtail these incidents.

Killick likes this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Common-sense theater laws.

Ace likes this.
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Just arm the ushers and teachers already!

Ace likes this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Two dead so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted