1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I will light you up!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 23, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Sandra Bland case is getting a lot more national attention than the Cincinnati case. It's becoming quite a thing.

Quick review: Woman driving through Prairie View, Texas, is stopped for failing to use a turn signal. She said she was getting out of the way because the cop was speeding up on her from behind, then he pulls over over when she moves over. This ends with her going to jail, and then that ends with her killing herself with a plastic bag, police said. The family hotly disputes that she would have killed herself. Investigation ongoing.

Video of the stop released yesterday. The cop tries to pull her out of her car, threatens to tase her -- "I will light you up!" -- when she doesn't comply, and orders her to put out her cigarette. He has been placed on administrative duty for violating procedures.

The Transcript Of Sandra Bland's Arrest Is As Revealing As The Video

Encinia: Step out or I will remove you. I’m giving you a lawful order.

Get out of the car now or I’m going to remove you.

Bland: And I’m calling my lawyer.

Encinia: I’m going to yank you out of here. (Reaches inside the car.)

Bland: OK, you’re going to yank me out of my car? OK, alright.

Encinia (calling in backup): 2547.

Bland: Let’s do this.

Encinia: Yeah, we’re going to. (Grabs for Bland.)

Bland: Don’t touch me!

Encinia: Get out of the car!

Bland: Don’t touch me. Don't touch me! I’m not under arrest -- you don't have the right to take me out of the car.

Encinia: You are under arrest!

Bland: I’m under arrest? For what? For what? For what?

Encinia (to dispatch): 2547 county fm 1098 (inaudible) send me another unit. (To Bland) Get out of the car! Get out of the car now!

Bland: Why am I being apprehended? You're trying to give me a ticket for failure ...

Encinia: I said get out of the car!

Bland: Why am I being apprehended? You just opened my --

Encinia: I‘m giving you a lawful order. I’m going to drag you out of here.

Bland: So you’re threatening to drag me out of my own car?

Encinia: Get out of the car!

Bland: And then you’re going to [crosstalk] me?

Encinia: I will light you up! Get out! Now! (Draws stun gun and points it at Bland.)

Bland: Wow. Wow. (Bland exits car.)

Encinia: Get out. Now. Get out of the car!

Bland: For a failure to signal? You’re doing all of this for a failure to signal?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This thread has potential.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SFIND likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

These threads don't really start cooking until the middle-aged white guys begin posting about how all of their interactions with the police are mutually respectful.

6. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

So before even thinking about her behavior or past record (alluded to in some places); this is all about a turn signal with no one around except an itchy law enforcement officer. Ridiculous; here in my part of the world a 48 yr old officer just got shot and killed for stopping a car that was driving erratically at 3 am in the morning (unfortunately my buddy was his friend in going through the police academy and served with him.) Those are the incidents the officers need to focus on, not some failure to use a turn signal.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Case of the Open Bible.

Charles Blow works on the Narrative in public:

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) The fact this woman spent 3 days in jail and ended up a corpse because she couldn't post bond after some fuckwit given the authority to go on a power trip like that took away her freedom, should disgust people. He pulled her over for a turn signal! Hopefully it is.

2) I don't see how any policing technique would ever have a police officer (or anyone for that matter) pointing a gun at someone unless he is threatened. That is frightening.

3) His entering her car without probable cause of any sort was a violation of her 4th amendment rights. He created the situation.

4) That said, once he told her to exit the car and then that she was under arrest -- even if it was an illegal arrest -- she should have complied with him. At that point, people should know to comply. ... and hope it gets sorted out correctly later. No good is going to come from resisting.

5) That said, it doesn't change that she was a victim. It doesn't matter how much of a pain in the ass she was, or how belligerent. He had no justification for any of that. Yes, she resisted arrest. It was also an illegal arrest. So she was justified, actually, even if it wasn't a smart thing to do in the practical sense of things.

Bottom line: In those situations, be polite! You have little to lose from being polite. ... what happened to her is the worst case of what happens when you are belligerent. Hopefully that idiot will never wear a badge again.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She should never have been in jail 3 days after this bullshit arrest.

But, to turn it into, "what happened to her in jail," is a question in search of a Narrative.

Are we really shocked that the suicidal girl killed herself after this encounter, that likely led to her losing the new job that she had just moved to Texas to start?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Unless she's fathered 13-20 kids, I am not interested. (actually, this sounds so fucked up. And we haven't even gotten to the 'suicide').

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Deputy deserved to be killed on the spot. The boys in Lexington and Concord knew what to do with pigs like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted