1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonathan Papelbon: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Twelfth all-time in saves now (341 and counting). Should be top five before all is said and done.

Six-time All-Star.

759 strikeouts in 644 career innings.

Career ERA of 2.33, ERA+ of 185.

Closer for Red Sox World Series champion, though not the team that people care about.

Jonathan Papelbon Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

(K-Rod might be an even better candidate, but Papelbon is going to be traded soon, so he's in the news.)

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bet ya' $10 he doesn't get traded. The Phillies have a tradition of asking way too much for their above average players. It's why Cole Hamels is still here too.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trade him, either. And I wouldn't trade Samardzija, either. I'd rather have the pick than some C-level prospect from someone.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Relief pitchers in the HOF are a very short list and the queue to get in is long. Papelbon has a long way to go.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree, especially as the voting base that overvalues the save gets aged out. Trevor Hoffman is eligible in 2016 - I think his case will be interesting, when it comes to future closers. Lee Smith hit a high of 50 percent in 2012, but has since slid to 30.2 percent in 2015.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd like to think Hoffman will get at least 50 percent but I don't believe it will happen. If we would have had "normal" voting patterns and guys like Piazza and Bagwell had already gone in, I'd feel better about it.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If Papelpon can keep banking saves, he should get more voting love than Smith.

Smith: 71-92, 478 of 581 saves, 3.03 ERA, 1,289.1 IP, 1,133 hits, 1,251 strikeouts, 486 walks, 132 ERA+
    Paps: 36-30, 341 of 385 saves, 2.33 ERA, 664 IP, 511 hits, 759 strikeouts, 166 walks, 185 ERA+; Has better Postseason resume by far; Both have 7 All-Star nods.

And for comparison:

K-Rod: 46-43, 369 of 432 saves, 2.67 ERA, 869.1 IP, 643 hits, 1,043 strikeouts, 355 walks, 158 ERA+; Has good Postseason resume with a ring like Papelbon, 6 All-Star nods.

Unless either K-Rod or Papelbon can get to 500 saves, I can't see either getting enough support from the writers to get in.

Along with Hoffman being eligible in January, Billy Wagner is on the ballot. He's the real interesting test. But in 20 years if you said the Vets committee had put in all three, I wouldn't be surprised.

8. sgreenwell

I think one of the issues to me would be that The End can seemingly come quick and brutally for pitchers. Joe Nathan was floating along until 2010, blew out his elbow, resurfaced in 2012 and 2013, and now seems cooked again. Robb Nen was done at 32. Troy Percival hit a wall at 34.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Hall of Fame flaming asshole? Absolutely.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does BR have "blown saves" anywhere on that page?

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yes. Click more statistics then it's under the header Reliever Pitching Pap is 89% 341 of 385 Della posted it

12. sgreenwell

For what it's worth, JAWS has Papelbon as the 29th best RP prospect for the Hall. For comparison's sake, top five is Eck, Rivera, Hoyt Wilhelm, Gossage and Bobby Shantz. That top four is already in or will be in first ballot (Rivera). However, it's probably muddied a bit by SP-turned-RP, since they seem abnormally high to me. Tom Gordon is #6, Greg Swindell is #9, Kerry Wood is #11. Lee Smith is #14, Sutter #17, Rollie #26: Relief Pitcher JAWS Leaders | Baseball-Reference.com

Draft saved Draft deleted