1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duh...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Jul 21, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

U.S. 'disturbed' by Iranian leader's criticism after deal

"U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said a speech by Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei on Saturday vowing to defy American policies in the region despite a deal with world powers over Tehran's nuclear program was 'very troubling'.

"Ayatollah Khamenei, the highest authority in Iran, told supporters on Saturday that U.S. policies in the region were '180 degrees' opposed to Iran's, in a Tehran speech punctuated by chants of 'Death to America' and 'Death to Israel'."

I, for one, am shocked -- SHOCKED -- to find Iran still hates the U.S. and Israel and wants to destroy them both even after making this deal.

I mean, who knew?

Batman, doctorquant and Vombatus like this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's just playing to his people. He's the Donald Trump of Iran.
    Why go through the steps to negotiate a deal then say you are doing to defy it a few days later when nothing has changed? If you were actually going to defy it, wouldn't you be sneakier?

If he does, it gives the USA and allies more legitimacy to rain down devastation on Ali and friends.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

More evidence of idiocy. Why can't this admin just be a lame duck? I'm starting to think doing nothing by this bunch is far better than doing something. Just go play golf.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This requires critical thinking, which the critics, ironically enough, are incapable of doing.

It means noticing that things are a little more complex than what's on the surface. For one thing, the hard liners in Iran are already going to hate the deal. The goal is to win the hearts and minds of the moderates, and the youth, instead of antagonizing them.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What does Ali Khamenei "vowing to defy American policies in the region" have to do with the nuclear deal?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If your concern is that Iran is not going to play by the rules of the deal, what's the harm of having rules in place so that we can start sending in the drones or whatever?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

#criticalthinking

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, I think drones would lead to a rapid application of escalation theory. I don't think either side really wants to start a shooting war though, but if pushed, one might start to save face.

9. cranberry

Huh? Israel wants to destroy Iran and the US? Khamenei and Kerry?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Israel just wants to destroy Obama. It is the Republican party of nations.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not generally one for this play, but you might try a tad more reading comprehension.

12. cranberry

Getting caught up in rhetoric from Khameni or Netanyahu is a silly media game.

Draft saved Draft deleted