1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Wyatt leaving Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jul 20, 2015.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

2. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

"The Tennessean will begin an immediate nationwide search for a Titans beat writer," per the newspaper's story announcing the move:

Titans reporter Jim Wyatt leaving Tennessean

Granted, that's a Gannett property, but it is way beyond time for the industry to wake up and fix itself. How a team website, which in most cases is not in the business of breaking news, can lure away a well-sourced reporter and accomplished beat writer like Jim Wyatt is pretty damn telling.

3. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Because an NFL team with benefits that the league provides (insurance, pension) is a hell of a lot more stable than a Gannett property. In the end, it's all about the paycheck and caring for your family.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What is this, 2010? Writers have been leaving for team/school sites for half a decade. Good for Jim.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh, sure they have. Nothing new, really. Just surprised to see Jim go after all these years. Best of luck to him.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Also, don't forget Gannett is happy to see him go. They don't give a frick about quality. No newspaper does anymore. They just want to pay little to no money. Pretty soon newspapers will be asking people to pay them to "let them" cover Titans games IMO. It's really a joke. Good luck to him working for a real site that will respect him and pay him.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Indeed. I'm surprised it's taken this long for that trend to catch on in the NFL.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does the NFL still provide pensions to staff members? I thought one reason for the officials strike was that the the league wanted to take away thier pensions. I remember reading Goodell explaining that it was only fair to stop the officials retirement plan because NFL office workers had lost thier pensions, including him.

9. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Some teams opted out but some remained in. I know Green Bay for sure is still in it because the Web guy from the Jaguars (Ketchmann) left Jacksonville to go to the Packers 3-4 years ago because of that.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Aw, poor $44 million a year Roger lost his pension. Heartbreaking.

11. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

I believe it's now 20 out of 32 teams that hired someone who was covering a team (usually theirs) locally to write on their team website. That pension plan for teams that remain in it is golden, not to mention other benefits. (An acquaintance who went to a pro team site moved his family off his wife's insurance to the plan provided by the team, saved $6,000 a year and got a better plan.) Some teams are loosening up on the latitude given to the writers. As newspapers contract, teams are expanding their operations; the local club in my market has doubled its staff in the past year. Not a hard decision, I imagine.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like you might want to update your skills and look for an exit plan.

Draft saved Draft deleted