1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overtime pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wander_mutt, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They might not get there in time if the driver is going that fast.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How much harm is being done if someone goes 1 mph over the limit?

How much harm is being done if someone isn't paid their rightful overtime?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When I was an assistant one place, I wasn't a stickler on a schedule, as long as the gang was doing what was needed to be done.

I would have many discussions with the SE like this though:

SE: What's John Doe doing today?
    Me: He has worked six days in a row.
    SE: So what's he doing today?

As SE, I found that there were still plenty of stories even if you didn't demand them every day.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What law? Please show me the citation of the law that requires an employee to take comp time the pay period after it is earned.

I am not being argumentative. I really want to see it.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I should. But since I lost my job once, got rehired and then was laid off again I try not to do anything that will rock the boat in the least. And I'm pretty sure that would do it.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes and I bet the employee put overtime once and didn't dare put it again. Because every manager I know that allows overtime gets in big trouble with the publisher and managing editor. Every beat reporter I've met has had to work 60-70 hours a week and gets paid for 40. If they resist, they are off the beat very quickly and soon out the door. Not just at shops I've worked at but others as well.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If this is true, you've had an incredible run of bad luck when it comes to where you worked and others you know about.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No one makes me root for management more than Fredrick.

BurnsWhenIPee and JayFarrar like this.
  9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No kidding. I'm baffled by the hours claims.

I work like a maniac and have hit about 55 hours in a week, but normally it is in the high 40s each week. I also get paid overtime and but I also work at a place that cuts hours.

So none of that bullshit, you have to be here all day for the 10 a.m., 3 p.m. and work desk past midnight., that's how you pile up hours.

But for me and the others, that's not what we do. Know you have a late night, don't come in that morning. Working a Saturday, when you normally pull M-F, take a day off during the week, etc.

It really isn't that hard and it makes life much more manageable.

MeanGreenATO likes this.
  10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Why can't you root for the little guy? My style on here may be direct and antagonistic and full of emotional venting, but my shrink would say that's a rare outlet. During working hours, Fredrick is professional and doesn't complain and does the work that needs to be done and does not file for overtime as is the unspoken expectation. I once was told by a doctor friend of mine, "you are the perfect employee. Businesses love people like you." Yes the doctor said it in a negative way. But it's survival of the fittest. If you want to work in newspapers, pay the price.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I do. But when the little guy rails over and over about the same thing and never does anything to improve his lot on life, I start wondering who is actually to blame.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OTOH, I admire Frederick's passion and consistency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.