1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbia Missourian seeks assistant sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MarkRSelig, Jul 14, 2015.

1. MarkRSelig

MarkRSelig New Member

Hey everybody,

The Columbia Missourian (in Columbia, Missouri, conveniently) is looking to hire an assistant sports editor to begin in January. One of the perks of the position is free graduate classes at the University of Missouri.

The job ad is below. Feel free to email me if you have any questions; it's my position you'd be filling.
    (markrselig@gmail.com)
    ---

Earn a master’s degree at the Missouri School of Journalism while editing an APSE award-winning Columbia Missourian sports section.

We’re looking for sports reporters or editors with at least three years experience to serve as assistant sports editor for the newspaper that’s managed by professionals and produced by journalism students. You’ll help manage young reporters eager to get their first clips and who have the passion but need direction. You will coordinate with photo department, desk editors and make story assignments. You’ll edit stories and write headlines for both online and print.

This part-time graduate teaching assistantship allows you to pursue a master’s degree at one of the world’s best journalism schools. Need more incentives? Included are: tuition waiver and salary; $1,000 toward expenses to the annual APSE convention for two years; $500 toward equipment for projects; and health benefits. The benefits are on a 12-month basis; the Missourian is a year-round, digital and print, community newspaper.

Candidates must complete a master’s student application by Sept. 1; GRE scores can be submitted by Sept. 25.

For more information about our master’s programs and an application, go to Master's Programs - Missouri School of Journalism or call 573-882-4852.

For questions about the Columbia Missourian, contact Greg Bowers, sports editor, at bowersg@missouri.edu

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One of my great regrets in life, and I have a few really big ones, is that I failed to catch on at the Missourian back in the early 1990s.
    Highly recommended gig.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Damn, sounds like a great opportunity. Imagine the resumes will be stacking up.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I interviewed for a job in York with Greg Bowers many years ago, and it was one of the best experiences I've had, even if I didn't get the job. (Probably for the best, since the Dispatch no longer exists.) You could do a lot worse than working for him.

5. Potter

Potter Member

This is a fascinating arrangement.

6. K.Heneghan

K.Heneghan New Member

Highly recommend this position to anyone looking to go to grad school and be involved in one of the most interesting papers. As a student, I wrote for the Missourian, and Greg -- as well as the assistant editor at the time, Grant -- made such a positive mark on me as a sports reporter. This sports department has produced such writers as ESPN's Wright Thompson, Yahoo!'s Pat Forde and MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch so there will be plenty of talented students to work with.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No. no. You must be mistaken. Wright Thompson went to Ole Miss. I know because one of our most educated posters mentioned it on another thread.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thompson did go to Mizzou but he is a Mississippi son. Google is your friend. Unless that was sarcasm

K.Heneghan likes this.
  9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

i"m confused on this. Is this the student newspaper? Or, a professional paper with ties to the school?

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yes!

11. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Oh, OK.

(so, which is it? Just a really, really good student paper?)

12. wfl

wfl New Member

It's an independent, professional newspaper staffed by Mizzou students.

Draft saved Draft deleted