1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning page design

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by MNgremlin, Jun 15, 2015.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

And definitely don't do it on inside pages. The headline should be next to the story on inside pages . If you see a 2-column hed, a 2-column photo and then a 2-column story, someone did it wrong.

2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Since it was my example in question, we were about 3-4 hours out from deadline on a slow day and I was sitting roughly 10 feet away.

He gave me a couple of pointers, but without much depth.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is bullshit. Why would you redo the page in the first place? Because it's not the way YOU would have done it? I don't think we're talking breaking news here. I understand redoing someone's work if it's seriously fucked up and they're off that day. But if they are shitty enough that you have to continually redo things, then they should have never been hired. But nobody ever learns anything by you swooping in and fixing mistakes. Tell them what you want and let them learn by DOING IT. It's the only way they will ever get better.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And this is bullshit as well. Most designers aren't actually designers? News to me.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

+1

BDC99 likes this.
  6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Some pagination is design but, for the most part, it isn't.

Went to a seminar last week and the dude basically said if you aren't using illustrator, you aren't designing.

Hard to argue with if you get the difference between design and pagination.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I hope you didn't pay for that.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

First, I never said I have to continually redo someone's work. I explained why there are times that an editor or other designer might have to redo someone's work. And I should have noted I only very rarely rebuild pages myself; only when it can't be avoided. Sometimes a page has to be down and there isn't time to send it back to the person who built it. Sometimes a section editor or one of my bosses wants to see it redone before the designer is in that night. There are lots of reasons and a lot of deadlines that have to be hit. There isn't always time to give it back to the designer. In this case, there was time and it should have been sent back. Other times, there simply isn't. If you work in the newspaper business and can't get that, you have issues.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If this thread can turn into a catfight, well, I guess any thread can.

It's freakin' newspaper design, guys. Take a breath.

JRoyal and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

And there are plenty of reasons a page has to be redone. Maybe a story got left off (possibly not even the designer's fault; could've been left off the budget he got). Maybe a photo editor wants to go with a different photo. Maybe the headline typography isn't any good. Even great designers can design a crappy page. Ideally, I discuss it with them and let them re-work things. But there isn't always time.

And just so we're clear, I don't want things done the way I would do it necessarily. I want my designers to have their own voice. But young designers need to be guided until they find that voice. Just like young writers.

Sports Guy likes this.
  11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

There is definitely a difference between paginating and design, but using Illustrator isn't required for design. It helps, but it's not necessary at all.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

In that case, definitely not cool. He should have kicked the pages back to you. No reason for not doing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted