1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit, Douche City

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Slowly being driven out by ever-higher rents and increasing gentrification (largely of their own making), Brooklyn's hipster class is eyeing a mass migration -- to Detroit, where their unique brand of not wanting to pay for anything and whining about it when they do meshes nicely with ridiculously low property costs and urban decay brought about by evil capitalism (they feast on irony like a vampire at a blood bank).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/fashion/last-stop-on-the-l-train-detroit.html?referrer=

Continue reading the main story
    “I came here thinking I might help save Detroit, and instead it has saved me,” he added.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Could have sworn this was going to be about Kid Rock.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nearly 15,000 Michiganians, with most likely several hundred thousand relations living today, died in The War To Preserve Slavery. Michigan's manpower contribution to the Union Army ranked fourth of all the states.

Kid is taking a massive shit on all those people, certainly to say nothing of 98.2% of all black residents of the state.

Lynyrd Skynyrd themselves dumped the treason flag several decades ago, so it's not like he has to uphold it to uphold their honor.

As far as the douches moving in from New York, the Detroit area was definitely not working from a shortage of douchebags.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Please note (from the story linked)

So Kid Rock used the flag on a cd, he has in the past used it in shows...but is not now and is being protested and asked to not "stop displaying" the flag (which he is not at this time, do these protesters even bother to find this out first?!).

Yeah, I'd tell them to kiss my ass as well. These people need a life.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The Motor City becoming a hipster mecca is ironic because none of them drive.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Brooklyn: Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"where their unique brand of not wanting to pay for anything and whining about it when they do"

Nice.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm not the biggest Kid Rock fan, but I've never understood the hatred for him on this site.

For all the bashing we do of posers on here, Kid Rock's act is exactly what he is: a white trash dude who talked about being a big star, then became one. He never claimed to be a great musician or Boy Scout, and he's not.

When "Devil Without a Cause" came out, it was one giant party in all corners of Michigan ... and since I lived there and didn't have kids yet, I happily joined in.

Rant over. It's time to mow the lawn, but before I cut, I'll go behind the garage ... ;)

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Michigan was on the winning side in the Slavery War.

Why the flaming fucking holy hell any Michiganian would root for the treason team is far far beyond me.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time finding any reason that people moving to, and investing in, Detroit would be seen as anything but an unequivocal positive.

You need someone to go first, and artists and associated folks often go first, and lead to even greater investment. It's exactly the kind of thing Detroit should be doing.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Perhaps because Michiganders who fly the Confederate flag don't do so because they're "rooting" for the Confederacy?

Draft saved Draft deleted