1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have we really reached the point where it's OK to leak an athlete's medical chart?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Jul 8, 2015.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I saw this briefly mentioned here on the NFL offseason thread but feel it merits its own discussion.
    So I'm sure most of you of aware that Adam Schefter tweeted out how Jason Pierre-Paul had a finger amputated because, well, because he's an idiot.
    But stupidity aside, I am having a hard time with this. Have we really reached a point where it's OK to leak a person's medical chart simply because he plays in the NFL? Like for real? This is a thing?
    I could MAYBE ... MAYBE ... understand leaking medical records when it's in the public's best interest to know. JFK gets shot? OK. That makes sense. Congressman has dementia? That could affect his job so, sure, I guess that's alright.
    But an NFL player? Really?
    I mean, I can't be the only person disgusted by this right? I get that our industry is all about getting clicks and going viral and what have you but do we have such little integrity as to blatantly ignore someone's basic rights to privacy because he plays football?
    What say you SJ? If you were Schefter, would you run with the story?

Adam Schefter Tweets Jason Pierre-Paul's Medical Chart, Reveals JPP had Finger Amputated | VICE Sports

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

From your link:

Its release must be authorized and, so, there's really only one person from whom ESPN could have obtained the document: Jason Pierre-Paul.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

But yeah, if he got it from someone other than JPP, then that's pretty fucked up and Schefter should be called on it. And whoever leaked it should face charges.

cranberry and schiezainc like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Major League Baseball players see nothing wrong with having their confidential drug tests released, right? And they just loved discussing their medical histories with Congressmen too.

cranberry and schiezainc like this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If he got it from anyone besides JPP, it's a severe HIPAA violation and the person who gave it to him, if caught, will be fired and probably prosecuted.

6. schiezainc

If JPP gave it to him, I imagine the story would have been titled differently. Schefter said "ESPN obtained medical charts that show Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul had right index finger amputated today."
    If JPP gave it to them, wouldn't he have given them an on-the-record story with it? Something akin to "ESPN has confirmed that Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul had his right index finger amputated today. Sources with JPP say he is recovering fine..." yada yada yada.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I caanot imagine a reason why JPP would release it. So, yeah, someone is likely to be in deep shit.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

My first thought on seeing the Tweet was HIPPA. Severely phucked up that someone leaked that and ESPN posted it, if it's real (that font seems fakeable but I'm no medical chart expert).

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why would it be fucked up for ESPN to post it? They aren't violating the law. Only the person that gave it to him (if not authorized by JPP) is violating the law.

For Schefter, it's a major scoop that advances the story quite a bit.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm curious. What in the heck do you think the person could be prosecuted for?

11. schiezainc

Are we really that jaded to think this is OK? I get fighting for the right to access information but there was always an unspoken line people didn't cross and my personal opinion is this medical chart is on the other side.
    I mean, seriously, I'm sure EVERY single journalist on this board has been given sensitive or private information in the past and weighed whether or not to hold it back. Ethically this just seems gross to me.
    I don't see, what benefit this serves. Schefter could have advanced the story in the exact same way without releasing JPP's medical records for the world to see. Especially because he's freaking Adam Schefter. Probably the most well-connected journalist in sports. You're telling me this was a necessary use of discretion?

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted