1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Ballers and The Brink

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jul 8, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I DVR's both of them and watched the 1sty two episodes of each.

Ballers: not funny. some good characters but shitty plots. The only character worth rooting for, Charles Green, is played by Omar Miller. Good actor. Good Nudity.

The Brink: This is funny. Not a Jack Black fan at all but he's watchable. Robbins is great.

Unfortunately John Laroquette is only in 3 episodes.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Dan Wetzel had a great column this week on the criticism of Ballers.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I've watched the first three episodes of Ballers and I won't be watching the fourth. I found it so boring and stupid that I laughed out loud when they had the "Inside the Episode" featurette immediately after the episode.

I by no means only watch high-brow, intellectual stuff on TV. Jackass is still one of my favorite shows of all time. But Ballers was a snoozefest. If I want to see the Rock be huge and charismatic, I'll dial up the WWE Network. If I want to see naked ladies, there are many online documentaries for that.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the first three episode of "The Brink," but there seem to be a lot of storylines. Not sure where the drug-dealing pilot plot is going.

Ballers is still unwatched on DVR. Sounds like I should delete it (or just fast-forward to the naked parts). Is it the gratuitous nudity like 1st & Ten used to show?

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You would see more nudity watching an episode of Game of Thrones. It isn't gratuitous enough to make it worth it, at least for me.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Brink has A- possibilities but is content to do a C+ job.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

So, who's winning the LPGA?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode of Ballers. It was awful. Just a bunch of athletes throwing their money around and acting like assholes. Come to think of it, maybe it's pretty realistic. The Rock is pretty good in it, but I am not disappointed that I could only watch the first episode on my free weekend of HBO.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Both looked terrible in the previews.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've seen a few minutes of Ballers here and there. No surprise that it is a Stephen Levinson creation given that it is angling for a jock version of Entourage, but it is a really shitty jock version of Entourage.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good comparison from the episode I saw.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Nice 1st and Ten reference. Pre-Internet and Kari Wuhrer movies on Cinemax, that was teenage viewing gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted