1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buh-bye, Keith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 8, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We're here again.

Keith Olbermann, ESPN to Part Ways Once Again - Hollywood Reporter - The Hollywood Reporter

Sources say that ESPN management made Olbermann an offer to take his show to the network's headquarters in Bristol or to the Los Angeles facility but was rebuffed. This was a cost-saving measure, with Olbermann's show produced out of the network's Times Square studio.

Not having that show being produced in Times Square will save the network roughly $40 million, say sources.

Olbermann's impending departure follows a THR report on July 1 detailing the anchor's "commentary" in his segments as a point of contention in his contract negotiation with the network.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And they'll throw away another $7 mil on the ESPYs next week.

Olbermann was brought in to blunt Fox Sports 1 and I'm guessing ESPN figures FS1 isn't suddenly going to overtake ESPN anytime soon. I kind of liked the idea of Olbermann's show, a summation of the day's events, some highlights, some interviews, some commentary. It was like watching a day's worth of ESPN in 30 minutes.

Then they started moving it around all over the place.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or did the WWL begin to phase out Olbermann's presence as he began to stick his foot in his mouth again?

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Keith suffers from ass-to-mouth or mouth-to-ass disease. Depending on your frame of reference.

And it's his own ass.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

ESPN already owns/controls the Times Square studios anyway, right?

Why the hell would it be $40 million cheaper to produce it in Bristol or LA?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Local 1 of the stagehand union?

old_tony likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course. Fucking unions.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That was my thought as well. $40 million?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hmm. They own the building.

The cost of turning on the lights and running the air couldn't cost too much.

Even paying for Keith's black car service wouldn't add up to a lot.

It's almost like the union labor costs are the only other possible reason it could cost so much.

old_tony likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Olbermann fired is like Billy Martin fired as far as shock value goes. Truth to tell, although I like Keith as a viewer, he needs a foil/partner to be of real value. My guess is they hired him in the fond if ridiculous hope he could lure Patrick back to the Empire.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

PS: If they still have the studio, the union guys are still making just as much money to sit around waiting for the Sports Reporters on Sunday morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted