1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Step one nearly complete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 7, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Body cameras coming to schools. Now we just need them in the classroom, pointing toward the teacher:

As police departments across the country adopt the use of body cameras, an Iowa school district is following suit — outfitting its principals and assistant principals with small, clip-on video cameras.

Burlington Community School District in southeastern Iowa is taking the unusual step of recording parent and student interactions with administrators — a move district officials say will protect both sides.

"It's personal accountability," Superintendent Pat Coen told The Des Moines Register. "Did we treat this person with dignity, honor and respect? And if we didn't, why didn't we?"

The 4,300-student district along the eastern Iowa border is thought to be among the first in the nation to outfit administrators at each of the district's eight school buildings with a body camera.

Body cameras making their way into Iowa schools

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How about a camera on tradesmen to ensure accurate billing?

3. YankeeFan

No issue.

I repair machines on site, in front of my customers. I explain what I'm doing as I go, and get permission before I replace parts.

A camera would only help. In fact, I often snap pictures with my phone so that I can show the boss/manager/owner who might not be there what kind of condition the machine was in. It gives me a chance to show them how dirty a machine is, or how much hard water damage has built up, which isn't evident when the machine is closed up.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

We'd like to treat you with respect and dignity by recording every interaction so you don't sue us.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Someone is stealing my underpants?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Better yet, put them on lawyers.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Maybe it'll make the administrators behave better. Hasn't really worked out that way with police, but one can always hope ...

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is the greatest solution ever that is in need of a problem.

Mr. Sunshine and YankeeFan like this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Not sure where you're getting that from, but use-of-force complaints are way down in the departments that were early adopters. Most departments haven't had them long enough, yet, to get a solid sample. There is a debate about whether complaints are down because the cops are behaving better or whether the public behaves better once informed of the camera's presence, or some combination of the two (likely). But the early returns are very positive.

That said, I don't know that body cameras for educators are necessary, or even a good thing.

10. YankeeFan

Why not?

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Because I haven't seen a single good reason articulated for their use in a school setting.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm fine with it. Then when the teacher calls in the parents to complain about Little Johnny's behavior, and the parents deny that their sweet little darling wouldn't do anything naughty, the teacher can play the tape.

Draft saved Draft deleted