1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ignorant America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tapintoamerica, Jul 5, 2015.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Astounding info from the Newseum's 2015 survey of Americans' knowledge of the First Amendment and related issues. The organization polled 1,002 people and asked them if they could enumerate freedoms guaranteed in the First Amendment.
    Lowlights:
    * Only 57 percent of those surveyed correctly identified freedom of speech as a right guaranteed in the First Amendment. That's down from 68 percent a year ago.
    * Only 19 percent identified freedom of religion. That's down from 29 percent a year ago.
    * One in three couldn't enumerate a single liberty mentioned in the First Amendment.
    The year-over-year declines are baffling to me. And it's not the first time for these fluctuations. Any guesses as to why ignorance levels would change? I've got to assume the collection methods were the same.

% of respondents correctly identifying each as a guarantee of the First Amendment
    upload_2015-7-5_18-58-27.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to be changing that much over the last 15 years.

My sense of it is a lot of people don't really give a shit. It doesn't affect their daily lives.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yep. Nothing matters if it doesn't affect me. #America

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Well, except for that jiggery-pokery stuff.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What the Constitution needs to get on the radar of average Americans is a reality show. Maybe a Celebrity Rights Swap kind of thing.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I don't know about these "facts." According to my Facebook feed, every other person is a Constitutional Law expert

Alma and Vombatus like this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A year-to-year drop in a sampling of 1,000 people seems more like a product of small sample size than an actual decline in the knowledge of the American people.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the answer to the dumbing down of America is more charter schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted