1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did you handle the Women's World Cup final?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How did you handle the Women's World Cup final?

Did you have any staff-written copy? (What U.S. papers staffed the game? My unofficial list is New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Miami Herald.)

Were there requests during the tournament for more coverage?

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

We ran the local watch party/reax on A1 (as the CP), and Sports took up the majority of the front with the gamer.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wonder how Canadian papers played it.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Front of sports, middle of page. Would have been top of page if we weren't hyper-local.

5. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

I used it as another reason to consume large amounts of beer in celebration and fired off the rest of my fireworks late into last night while chanting U.S.A. with my neighbors.

Oh wait, do you mean work?

cjericho likes this.
  6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

We had it inside with a (sports) front refer

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Just curious, but what did your front look like if this didn't merit the cover?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. I don't see what other local or national sport would knock that off the front, unless you were in Daytona, but that race wouldn't have made the paper.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

We ran in on the front page of sports (cp). Local (non pro) baseball team would have probably been the cp instead had it not lost its 10th game in a row. The baseball team still ran on the cover but not as the cp.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

We're super local, too, with no AP photos. Otherwise, I would have run it top of the page, with the headline, "I Carli."

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We're hyperlocal, and an afternoon paper, so we had a feature story on a local AAU basketball team as the centerpiece and NASCAR in the No. 2 position. World Cup ran down the rail with no art.
    Probably underplayed it too much, but I figured the local story and the race (we're in NASCAR country) that finished on our cycle, well after most of our readers went to bed, needed to be pretty prominent.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

With as much fake-enthusiasm as the national network reporters.

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted